I'd like to know your thoughts on this. I have been using BlackBerry Enterprise Messenger ... Server Admins forum

ibanyan no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24222F96

BES upgrades and BB Enterprise Messenger

Advertisement

I'd like to know your thoughts on this.

I have been using BlackBerry Enterprise Messenger 1.1.11 which is the version that ships with BES 4.1.0. It works great. No complaints.

Then I upgraded the BES to 4.1.2 (4.1 SP2) and the BlackBerry Enterprise Messenger started showing uncaught exceptions. There was no way to fix it.

I then upgraded the BlackBerry Enterprise Messenger to 1.1.17 which is the version that ships with BES 4.1.2 and the errors went away.

So that leaves a dilema when upgrading. Any way you look at it, you will have users who will see java errors until either their client is upgraded to 1.1.17 or the BES is upgraded to 4.1.2.

To me this doesn't seme like normal RIM protocol. Usually apps are backwards compatible with older BESs.

You would think that you sould have the option to first upgrade the client to the new version and then upgrade the BES when you can so as to preserve the usability of mobile IM, but that will not be possible according to RIM.

Any thoughts on this?
    Craig Johnston
    --------------
    My book "Professional BlackBerry":
    http://tinyurl.com/gyqvz
    Mobile Computing Authority Podcast:
    http://mca.libsyn.com

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I agree this should not happen unless there's a warning. I'll look around. Thanks for sharing.

garycutri no está en línea Stack level 3
    You can push the software to the handhelds with a software policy. this way you can do the push as soon as you update the server.