Hello, Firstly, the environment is Microsoft Exchange, using BES 4.1 I've got a user who ... Server Admins forum

spyduh no está en línea Stack level 1

BES Syncing old mail within personal folders

Advertisement

Hello,

Firstly, the environment is Microsoft Exchange, using BES 4.1

I've got a user who recently received a new 8800 handset(upgraded from the 8700).

On his old handset, he could view his personal folders, and all mail inside these folders.

However, on his new handset - personal folders are listed, and so are all the sub folders - but they are all empty.

I did a little testing, and tried moving some new mail that he had received into the personal folder - sure enough, the handset recognised mail had been placed in it - and displayed it accordingly.

The problem I have is, he wants to be able to view all the old mail that is still in his personal folder within outlook.

It appears the personal folders section on the blackberry will only display messages that have passed through the handset. Is this correct?

If not, how can I get the handset to display old mail that has been sitting in his personal folders - prior to the activation(performed today)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: BES Syncing old mail within personal folders

You are correct. Unless you do a backup of the old device, restore the data to the new device (before performing an Enterprise Activation), you will only get "new" emails on the device.

Remember, the BlackBerry does not synchronize - it reconciles. The BES keeps track of messages already sent to the device, and never sends them again once they've been sent.

The only way around this is to delete the BES account and create a new one. When the device activates, the last X messages will be sent to the device. It's not clear what X is - it may be either the last 2 days or the last 200 messages - or the least of the two - something like that.

Now you might get away with performing the EA on the device without wiping it and retain whatever messages are already on it, but there will be a lot of duplicates - and they will NOT show up together in the Messages list since that list sorts by the date and time the message was received.

The best thing to do is to live with the situation as it is, and for the user to forward emails that are REALLY NEEDED (not just because they want everything) to themselves, and then they'll appear on the BlackBerry. You'll be amazed at how few messages are needed when this approach is taken!

When I have users that get a new device (and they always want it NOW), I give them two options - one is to get the device up and running within an hour (typically 30 minutes or less), but have none of their old email on the device, OR have to loose the device for two to four hours to be able to perform a full backup of their old device and restore to the new device. I've NEVER had someone opt for the backup/restore! The trick is to let THEM make the decision.
    Last edited by jdellasala; 02-25-2008 at 07:42 AM.
    JerryD

spyduh no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: BES Syncing old mail within personal folders

Thanks for your reply - very very helpful :-)