I have a BES serving approx. 600 users on 16 Exchange mail servers in around ... Server Admins forum

vibe666 no está en línea Stack level 1

BES services need restarting after Exchange reboot?

Advertisement

I have a BES serving approx. 600 users on 16 Exchange mail servers in around 8 or 9 different European countries.

One of the problems I have reguarly is that if the BES loses contact with a particular mail server for any length of time (a mail server reboot or network outage for instance) even after the mail server becomes available again anyone using it does not get mails on their BES until I restart the BES services which has the side effect of purging pending messages, leaving affected users with a gap in their email from the time it went down until after the services are recycled.

Is there any way to stop this from happening? Ideally, I'd like the BES to regain contact with any affected exchange servers as soon as they beomce available again and pick uyp where it left off.

it's Exchange 2003 with BES 4.1.4

thanks in advance.

Also, another wierd thing is that I am having a lot of trouble with activations on 8000 series BB's for users on one particular mail server when 7000 series devices activate fine (both before and after a failed 8000 series activation). Does anyone know of anything obvious that might be causing this?

thanks again.

Tim_W no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: BES services need restarting after Exchange reboot?

I'm a BES Admin for my company. We use Blackberry devices (BB8703, BB8800) from AT&T and Sprint. Anytime there is an issue with our Exchange 2003 Server we have to reboot the BES. According to RIM, this is just something you need to do in order for your end user community to get e-mails again. Also, the only time I have problems with activation is when the cell phone provider doesn't have the correct Blackberry data plan attached to the cell phone account. I always use the Blackberry Unlimited Data Plan for all employees within the company.
    On the Exchange side, make sure you have the following rights administered to the BES server: SEND AS, RECEIVE AS and ADMINISTER INFORMATION STORE.
    ON the BES side, make sure the password you enter on the device is the same as the enterprise activation password.

I hope this helps.....

Regards,
    Tim

audit no está en línea BES Guru
    PIN/ID
    ASK

I reboot my Exchange +SP2 server once a week and have never had to reboot my BES afterwards. The only time my users have issues with emails is if there's a data outage that's affecting the area they are in.
    audit
    -
    Want to be the one of first people to know about RIM outages? Visit http://www.dataoutages.com

dbiallas no está en línea Stack level 1

It sounds like you could get by with just stopping the agents that are connected to the Exchange server that was restarted. There is a reg key from RIM that will allow you to run more than 5 agents on the server. Having one agent for each Exchange server helps a lot. The Controller will restart the stopped agent automatically. Though it takes a little work to figure out which agent is in trouble.

That would keep the other users from having to wait.

Other than that having several smaller BES closer to the exchange servers might keep you from having to restart it at all.

I second the data plan issue from above. Making sure you register with the mobile network helps as well. We are refreshing our AT&T devices at a clip of about 250 a day. We are not having too much trouble.
    --Dave

dbiallas - what do you mean by refreshing 250 AT&T BB devices a day? That's alot of devices to refresh....

We are shipping 250 8800's a day to our users to replace their aging 7780's and 7290's.
    They then have to do an enterprise activation to get going on the new hardware. We have replaced over 4000 over the last couple weeks. In January we start on the Verizon and the Sprint / Nextel.
    Our old devices are then going back to RIM to be recycled.

I am the lead Blackberry engineer for the USPS.
    --Dave

Crewdawg257 no está en línea BES Pro

Dave sounds like a candidate to be a BES Expert here. ;-)
    --
    I suspect that Microsoft Access is nothing but Microsoft Excel with a VBScript wrapper.
    - Unknown

Fortunately or unfortunately I've been through the school of hard knocks for Blackberry over the last 7 years.

We were having a problem like that with a group we were affilitated with. They had 14 clustered exchange servers and whenever they failed one over the Blackberry users would have issues. We solved it by migrateing all of their users(3000 users, 300 Blackbery users 1 BES) to our exchange network (200,000 users, 64 Exchange servers, 7,000 Blackberry users,14 BES, 3 Datacenters). Now they have much better uptime. Each of our BES supports 6 mailbox servers at the same site. We are running old hardware so we didn't want to consolidate more. But we do have one database which makes moving the users if they have a problem a snap.

I hope my reply helps.
    --Dave
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

If you don't mind me asking. Where are you located?? When I took my Blackberry Trainining class, there was a guy working for the Federal Government in Huntsville, Alabama that was tasked to deploy 7,000 Blackberry devices. His dept supports employees all over the world.
    Last edited by Tim_W; 11-27-2007 at 11:50 AM.