One of our customers is having a problem with emails being hard deleted on his ... Server Admins forum

iaina no está en línea Stack level 1

BES problem with hard deletes & missing service book

Advertisement

One of our customers is having a problem with emails being hard deleted on his Outlook mailbox and messages remaining on his blackberry. The bes is version 4.1.5.24 and yesterday I made sure the cdo file is the correct version.

I've been going through various troubleshooting steps and one mentioned deleting the cmime service book and resending it. The problem is it looks like cmime isn't installed on his or anyone else's blackberry. Is that normal?

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro
    If by "hard delete" you mean the user is holding [Shift] and deleting messages in Outlook, this bypasses the Deleted Items folder. When this happens, the BES doesn't know what happened to the message, and will not remove it from the BlackBerry.

The same holds for moving files to a PST. The BES doesn't monitor the PST, and won't remove the file from the BlackBerry. You can, however, reconcile Desktop Manager to ONE PST and manually sync to remove messages moved to it (but who the heck wants to have to do a wired sync!).

The BlackBerry will have no problem retaining emails hard deleted or moved to a PST - they will be removed from the BlackBerry once they age past the "Keep messages for" period, or remove oldest automatically if the memory is needed.

Just do NOT set "Keep Messages" to Forever - it is a sure way to get the BlackBerry to inexplicably slow down to a crawl eventually!
    JerryD

I thought that hard deletes were an option with BES 4? I know it couldn't be done in 3.6 but part of the reason for the upgrade was for the hard delete option.

It has been switched on under options on the bes server and works most of the time it's just that for this user it doesn't work all of the time..

ecnavt no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32caaed1
    Hard Delete Reconciliation is a BES server property, since v4.1.4(?). By default it is set to FALSE.

Change this and you'll be good to go.

I've already switched it on, it is working for about half the messages that are deleted from his mailbox..

ecnavt no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32caaed1
    For the same user? For messages after you enabled Hard Delete Reconcilation?

Yes, it worked initially when I tested it, deleting messages from his Outlook, the server and from a secretary's machine. But later in the afternoon it started missing the odd message deleted directly form his machine and they've steadily built up.