Looking for some advice: We have 2 offices in different cities with an ADSL VPN ... Server Admins forum

richardl no está en línea Stack level 1

BES over WAN link

Advertisement

Looking for some advice:

We have 2 offices in different cities with an ADSL VPN link between the two. Each city has it's own exchange server. Ping rates are typically about 30 ms.

I have one BES deployed, and have been discovering a lot of latency related issues when it tries to synch with the remote exchange server, specifically when activating handhelds for users with a lot of contacts/ emails. The BES seems to time out on it's agent processes if the download of the data takes too long, and the activation fails.

I am thinking of deploying a 2nd BES in the other city.

Can I set it up so the 2 BES servers share the licensing info only (each place has it's own router setup, database, etc)?

Any other advice would also be appreciated.

TIA

PwDiamond no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249df67d
    Hi Richadl,

Are you using this link for LDAP or AD replication? What all is flowing over the link?

I don't think you should be having any trouble with the BES and only one other exchange server. How often are you doing your replications?

Make sure your Mapi and CDO are the same across the enterprise... Your exchange servers should be set up identically as far as permissions and service packs to match the BES.

What's the specific error you're getting? Please post it to the forum if possible.

Hope this helps, please let us know either way.

richardl no está en línea Stack level 1
    There are a lot of warnings such as "RescanPIMItems(2) failed: ERR_NETWORK_PROBLEM" , "Worker Thread: *** No Response *** Thread Id=0x1A7C", "Unable to save configuration settings or statistics", things like that.

The warnings only appear for the remote users (we have 6 in the remote city, 8 local).

We have AD, mail, Citrix, and assorted web sites going over the WAN link in addition to the Blackberry. Replication is windows default (15 minutes I think).

CDO and mapi are the same on the Exchange and BES servers.

Unless I increase the pipe size between the two sites, i think the easiest solution is to install a local BES in the remote site. The only question on that setup is if I can get the remote server to see the local server for licensing.

Thanks for the help with this.

PwDiamond no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249df67d
    Quote Originally Posted by richardl View Post
    There are a lot of warnings such as "RescanPIMItems(2) failed: ERR_NETWORK_PROBLEM" , "Worker Thread: *** No Response *** Thread Id=0x1A7C", "Unable to save configuration settings or statistics", things like that.

The warnings only appear for the remote users (we have 6 in the remote city, 8 local).

We have AD, mail, Citrix, and assorted web sites going over the WAN link in addition to the Blackberry. Replication is windows default (15 minutes I think).

CDO and mapi are the same on the Exchange and BES servers.

Unless I increase the pipe size between the two sites, i think the easiest solution is to install a local BES in the remote site. The only question on that setup is if I can get the remote server to see the local server for licensing.

Thanks for the help with this.
    Hey Richard,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner...

What kind of equipment are you using for your link? I think you may have an easier solution than going through all of that.

Are you using the default security policy? Check your "Bulk Transfer" settings. It should be set to "Allow" or your OTA will fail.

I don't think the issue is with your VPN link, because the network carries the activation and data OTA, not through your link... I believe you have an underlying issue.

Can you describe your environment in a bit more detail? Are you using QOS/DSCP prioritization for replication? What kind of circuit are you on?