Is there a way to force all internet traffic coming from the BlackBerry's to go ... Server Admins forum

jice no está en línea Stack level 1

BES Internet Traffic

Advertisement

Is there a way to force all internet traffic coming from the BlackBerry's to go through the BIS server, instead of BES by default?

I understand that you can choose the "Internet Browser" on the handheld.. and surf via BIS.. but can you set this as the default through an IT Policy?

I see the option - "Allow Internal Connections", which you can set to false.. would that do it?

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro
    If you remove MDS from the BES, all traffic will be forced to go through BIS.

If you do this, applications may need the APN set correctly to work. Find a list of APN settings here:
    http://www.pinstack.com/carrier_settings_apn_gateway.html

HOWEVER, some apps seem to try to go through the BES connection if it shows up on the BlackBerry. It's rare, and some of these apps can be set manually to go through BIS, but for those that still can't connect, major surgery is required. Go into the Service Books and delete the Desktop[IPPP] service book. You may notice that when this is deleted, the Desktop[BroswerConfig] service book will delete automatically.

FINALLY, if you're the BES Administrator and you have a users already working with a BES connection, be prepared for some irate users. The BES (BlackBerry) Browser is typically set as the default browser. As such, when users (who don't even realize what browser they're using) add a Bookmark, it is associated with the Browser in use. Once you remove MDS, the BlackBerry Browser will cease to exist, and all bookmarks created with that browser will no longer work. The fix is to edit the Bookmark and change the Browser used to the Internet Browser.

Frankly, if the IP traffic generated by even a thousand BlackBerries is a problem for your network, you've got other more significant problems and this is not the way to solve it!
    JerryD

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala View Post
    ...when users (who don't even realize what browser they're using) add a Bookmark, it is associated with the Browser in use. Once you remove MDS, the BlackBerry Browser will cease to exist, and all bookmarks created with that browser will no longer work.

Yeah you only make this mistake once.
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

jice no está en línea Stack level 1
    Ouch! Thanks for the reply... that sounds like a little more than i'm willing to partake in, though. I would prefer if I could just simply change the "default browser" to be the Internet Browser, instead of BlackBerry Browser. That way, users would have the option of connecting internally, if necessary.. but all general surfing/internet traffic would not use our internet bandwidth.

I figured out how to do this on my own handheld (which for some reason took several tries to stick).. but havent quite figured out how to set it on the server side. From what others have said.. I think the answer may be "Default Browser Config UID". But just not sure what to put there, or what effect it will actually have on devices.

As for the reasons for doing this... its not so much the potential for problems with our network... its because 1) we pay for a set amount of internet bandwidth from our datacenter (with extra charges for overages), and 2) our blackberry's are used by VIPs (except for me, the admin, heh) of the company only.. who do NOT need (nor want) the same internet restrictions that we put on general PC users
    Last edited by jice; 10-07-2008 at 01:51 PM.

Cheeze_78 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    31076D84
    You should be able to just disable the Blackberry Browser and enable IBS Browser.
    Correct or no?