Ive been working for at least a month or two to create a BES server. ... Server Admins forum

wassona no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2439fbe3

BES Help

Advertisement

Ive been working for at least a month or two to create a BES server. I think either im making things more complicated than they need to be, or they really are that complicated.

So far ive created the BES server along with the Exchange server and for all intents and purposes they work. Both are connected to a Linksys wrt54g-tm with there respective tcp/upd ports pointed in the right direction. The Linksys is connected to a 2wire dsl modem (bridge mode, Linksys does routing).

Ive connected my phone, which im using for testing, to the BES before and I know it works. I activated by direct connection, not by wireless. Wireless is my main issue.

Ive tried and tried but for some reason I cannot get a wireless activation to work. I thought that maybe I needed port 3101 forwarded, so it is. Read earlier that its not necessary.

Im thinking maybe the problem lies in the way everything connects out. I dont know. After the 2wire I connect to ATT. I dont have a static address so im using dyndns to keep track of my addresses for both the Exchange and BES server (From the outside they point to the same address and the router splits them from there).

Im confused to the point my head hurts. I can tell you everything you need to know.

Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

PIN/ID
    2439fbe3
    One thing that Ive noticed is that if the server is supposed to connect to the SRP using port 3101, how come it isnt showing up when I scan my open ports? Ive scanned both network ports and it doesnt show up on them. Ive also scanned my dhcp address and it isnt there either.

Did a rescan and none of the BES ports that I have forwarded are showing up.
    Last edited by wassona; 08-01-2008 at 01:28 AM.

qc_metal no está en línea Developer
    From the server, you can check the SRP status from the BlackBerry Server Configuration tool.

There is also a command-line utility in the 'utility' folder under your server installation.

As long as the SRP link is up, you should have no worries about your server connectivity.

But...your problem is with wireless activation.

First off, make sure the device is on an Enterprise Server-enabled plan via cell carrier.

Do you know if your email account is getting the wireless activation email? Check your spam/junk mail filters, in addition to any auto-forwarding rules. If the BlackBerry agent doesn't see this email in your inbox, then it can't initiate a wireless activation.

Technical sheet on Wireless Activation:
    http://snurl.com/3aixi

Definitely read this --> Identifying and troubleshooting enterprise activation issues: http://snurl.com/3aiyg

PIN/ID
    2439fbe3
    It took a while to get to the point where my phone actually receives the messages. Now I can receive the emails from the server. Still not able to activate.

PIN/ID
    2439fbe3
    Ive been letting the BES generate the activation passwords and sending them through. Thats currently working as I am receiving the messages on my phone. I use the email address and the password to start the activation. The .dat file is being created but im not sure if the bes server is picking this up. I know the dat file is there because i get a notification on the phone. If i look it is the data message.

knottyrope no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Sounds like a permission issue if the DAT file is not being picked up by the BES.
    Obi-Wan Kenobi says "Use the search Luke", and Yoda says "RTFM, you should"
    Torch 9800 on BES 4.1.7 MR3, SQL 2005, Exch 03 with 250 hopeless users

http://twitter.com/#!/knottyrope

Do you see the activation email disappear from the user's inbox in Outlook/Notes?

If not, then you are correct, the bes agent is not picking it up, and as knottyrope said, is probably due to insufficient privileges on the mailbox(es).

Check the documentation again and make sure that you've done all the steps involved with the server steps with regards to mail permissions.

PIN/ID
    2439fbe3
    Quote Originally Posted by qc_metal View Post
    Do you see the activation email disappear from the user's inbox in Outlook/Notes?

If not, then you are correct, the bes agent is not picking it up, and as knottyrope said, is probably due to insufficient privileges on the mailbox(es).

Check the documentation again and make sure that you've done all the steps involved with the server steps with regards to mail permissions.

Nope. The .dat files are staying. I noticed that somethings on my domain got fouled up so starting last night I rebuilt the Exchange server and while typing this im installing service pack 1 over rdc.

Once all the service packs are back in, and I make sure bes is still working, Im going to update bes and begin testing again.
    Last edited by wassona; 08-14-2008 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wassona View Post
    Nope. The .dat files are staying. I noticed that somethings on my domain got fouled up so starting last night I rebuilt the Exchange server and while typing this im installing service pack 1 over rdc
    D'oh! Well have fun with that!

Let us know how it goes - I have a feeling it is a permissions issue with your service account.

PIN/ID
    2439fbe3
    D'oh! Well have fun with that!

Let us know how it goes - I have a feeling it is a permissions issue with your service account.

It could be. One thing that tipped me off is that they BESAdmin account didnt show as having an actual account on the exch server. I dont know if thats necessary but it did mean that there were other possible issues. So I started creating users and their mailboxes didnt show either.

Sigh...

PIN/ID
    2439fbe3
    I want to say thank you to everyone that's helped me during my setup issues. Everything is working, and working great.

PIN/ID
    2439fbe3
    Good news!
    I was up till 130 getting everything working. I had to rebuild the domain controller, the exchange server, then get bes reinstalled. The rebuild of the DC and EXCH took 4 hrs a piece do to the service packs. Once those were updated i had to turn everything back on.

Sigh...

Im not screwing with them anymore. I need to get my ups on them and walk away.