Hi, The official BB site is fairly skimpy on the details and pricing of BES ... Server Admins forum

j00d no está en línea Stack level 1

BES Express on AT&T

Advertisement

Hi,

The official BB site is fairly skimpy on the details and pricing of BES Express, (they have links that go to 404 pages for cripes sake) so hopefully someone can help flesh out the big picture of what are the diff. between full blown BES and BES Express

*edit* I just tried to insert a link to the BB site for their Express info, but the forum policy prevents url posting. */edit*

I'm used to dealing with full BES, but it looks like there's a hard limit of 15 users for Express. Can that be upgraded to full BES at some point without incurring some exorbitant > $2k cost? How much does Express cost? One CAL is included, how much does the 2nd CAL cost? My 2 users just want push e.mail with support for sent items and deletion wireless syncing w/ their mailbox.

Thanks,

John

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Re: BES Express on AT&T

Every Blackberry has a free license for BES Express. Some of the BES experts can confirm what I have been told and recommended by BB's BES Trainers, but what they recommended to us was that if someone was interested in possibly upgrading at a future date to a full BES, to not use the BES Express. BB had a small version of BES (and I can't remember the name of that version for the life of me any more) that would allow direct upgrade to BES whereas the express version wasn't designed with conversion in mind.

Zo

j00d no está en línea Stack level 1

OK, free is a great price. So it's worth trying out but what confuses me is that the BB site mentions a limit of 15 users for Express. If every BB device has a free license, why would they offer CAL's for additional BB's? Or is the a free license per domain name?

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK

The express BES let's you have one BB CAL free but limits it to 15 total CALs, BBs don't all come with a CAL, BUT you can use your BB PIN to get an express license and 1CAL. You can then add additional CALs for $99, or 5 for $429. You can also upgrade to the full version of BES, but I think its pretty expensive, but that would remove the 15 CAL limit, and usually you get 1 to 5 additional CALs when you upgrade depending on what you pay...Hope that helps!
    it's always greener with the other carrier...

21A
    21A no está en línea Stack level 1

The CALs come in two flavors, Small Business and Enterprise. The entry of the first, free CAL from Express is what keys the server into requiring "Small Business" CALs (you can't add more than 15 small biz CALs, and you can't mix them with Enterprise CALs without the expensive "unlock CAL").

The workaround is to use your SRP ID from Express, skip the 1 free CAL, and buy and enter 5- and 10-packs of Enterprise CALs (not Small Business). This way you can continue to buy CALs as you grow, without hitting the expensive "unlock CAL" after 15.

If you've already entered the first free CAL, you can use SQL Mgmt Studio to go into the LicenseKeys table and delete that row. When you run BlackBerry Manager, it will see no valid CALs are left and prompt you to enter them, and now you can start with Enterprise CALs.