Hello everyone, Ever since I changed my account with my service provider to BES - ... Server Admins forum

lieb39 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

BES Express: No support for other programs? (Messages/Internet only?)

Advertisement

Hello everyone,

Ever since I changed my account with my service provider to BES - and used my BES Express I have setup I've been seriously limited with my Blackberry. For example - previously I could use programs like Yak-on or BB Messenger - but now I cannot. They simply don't connect (Yak-on) or in the case of the BB Messenger, it uterly refuses to install..

Anyone have any idea if this is just a limitation with BES Express - or if I did something wrong?

Thanks,

lieb39
    Anyone who is familiar and willing to discuss/help me with BES, add me to your BB Messenger! Cheers :)

tcv
    tcv no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32b86b00

Re: BES Express: No support for other programs? (Messages/Internet only?)

Does Express allow things like IT Policy? Cause that's what this sounds like...

lieb39 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Yep, I can define IT Policies. What option? I currently have a custom made IT policy applied to the device - just defining various things, mainly for testing/sandbox purposes.

lieb39
    Anyone who is familiar and willing to discuss/help me with BES, add me to your BB Messenger! Cheers :)

ellandry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CA1371

Make sure that you have the TCP settings filled in under advanced options. 3rd party programs like those need tcp to function

If your provider is cingular like mine try:

wap.cingular
    Wap.cingulargrps.com
    cingular1

If you want some more help pm me or my pin is 2038EE92

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

joshuaesc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32B97E47

Can I get in on discussion of the BES express as I have recently downloaded it and am going to begin the setup?
    “If you have raced with men on foot, and they have wearied you, how will you compete with horses?" (Jeremiah 12:5).

Joshua

niknud no está en línea Stack level 2

If I may, I am not using BES express, but do use a hosted BES solution. I have had my Pearl for 4 weeks now... I am no slouch to handhelds... anyway I am finding that certain programs are not working connecting either.

After reading many message board threads I double checked with my BES admin to make sure that they have no policies restricting me from doing anything I want with my BB.... they said they did not.

Then one 3rd party developer whose server I could not conenct too suggested I double check my APN settings [which I see all over the boards] which I did... mine were correct. From here I called Cingular who assured me all my seettings were correct who sent me on to RIM who assured me everything was correct and that it must be this 3rd party developer.

ok, I gave up on that software.

However, I have had 4 more pieces of software fail to connect to servers since. basically 2 e.mail programs [true imap programs] 2 RSS readers [headline hawk pro & Pico news] and Texas Holdem Multi Player by Magmic.

So, Friday i went back to my Admin to triple check that they are not preventing me from anything with there policies... they verified all my setting are free of any limitations to coennect and donload and use any software i desire.

He said often old programs were designed to go through the MDS or the BES to access the internet or outside servers instead of one's carriers network due to old technologies.

But I am having a hard time buying that Magmic or Pico news or HeadlineHawk pro are doing this. In Fact headline Hawk pro asks me if I want to connect via BES or cingular... I am selecting Cingular, bypassing the antiquated BES option which would be denied anyway.

So, If anyway has some suggestions or can offer any help or guidence as to how to get my Pearl to connect to these external servers I too would be most greatful for the help.

I don't know what else I could possible do or whom else could even help me: Cingular = Nope. RIM = Nope. BES Admin = Nope. 3rd Party developers = Nope [in some cases.]