Hi everyone. I am a BB user, not a BES administrator. I get work emails ... Server Admins forum

uncleman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317BC293

BES Emails in Subfolders

Advertisement

Hi everyone. I am a BB user, not a BES administrator. I get work emails on my BB, through my company's BES which is managed by our IT dept. These folks are usually great but don't seem 100% up to speed with BES.

My question has to do with accessing emails in my outlook subfolders. Shortly after activing my BES I was told to go into Folder Redirection and check the boxes for all of the subfolders that I wanted to access from my BB. I did that and it worked great. My problem is that I understand that those emails are now all housed locally on my BB, thereby hogging my precious and dwindling memory.

How do I stop those emails that I have moved out of the inbox into subfolders from staying locally on my BB? I tried unchecking all of the subfolders under folder redirection but that clearly has not worked.

My understanding is that when I upgrade to OS 4.5 I will be able to search for emails remotely anyway, so I won't need to have those locally stored.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

singk no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2437547A
    If you unchecked the subfolders, the going forward emails in the subfolder should stop forwarding to your device, but it will not remove from your device on those already on it. You will have to manual delete them from your device.

PIN/ID
    317BC293
    Singk, thanks for the response! Unfortunately, unchecking the boxes didn't work the way I had hope or you described above. I unchecked all the boxes like 2 weeks ago and all my subfolder emails are STILL going to the subfolders on my BB. Makes no sense.

PIN/ID
    2437547A
    Quote Originally Posted by uncleman View Post
    Singk, thanks for the response! Unfortunately, unchecking the boxes didn't work the way I had hope or you described above. I unchecked all the boxes like 2 weeks ago and all my subfolder emails are STILL going to the subfolders on my BB. Makes no sense.

Do you use Outlook Rules to move those emails into subfolder? Are those rules a client side or Server side rules?

The Client rules only happen when you have Outlook open, so all emails still going to your Inbox and get process by BES.

PIN/ID
    317BC293
    They are not filed by rules, I move them manually, item-by-item.

Since I posted the first post above I have actually upgraded to 4.5 and the remote searching is awesome! Therefore, I REALLY don't need or want to have access locally on my BB (hogging space) to all those moved/filed emails.

PIN/ID
    2437547A
    They are not filed by rules, I move them manually, item-by-item.
    Uncleman, I think that's where your problem is. Manual moving them is the same as Clientside Rule which happen after the emails already been forwarded to your BB device.

If you don't want them to be forward, you must setup a Server side Rules to move them prior to BES grab those emails.

PIN/ID
    317BC293
    That stinks b/c I have no idea which subfolders my emails need to go to until I see what kind of info is in them. So it would be impossible to set up rules for those moves. BTW, I'm talking about me moving them from my PC/Outlook. I would think that the redirection would still be able to work in that case....basically ignore any redirection done from the PC if I have none of the redirection boxes checked.

But here's another related question/problem that, if I can get figured out, will make the redirection problem moot. Right after my upgrade to 4.5 I set the general email options to keep messages for 15 days. My BB is keeping my messages beyond 15 days. Am I mistaken in my understanding of what this "keep messages" option does?

It's looking like I'll need to manually delete all old emails, folder by folder, which seems like it would be a major pain since I have literally 100+ subfolders. Is there any way you (or anyone else) can think of for me to not have to do this? ie, NOT have my BB hold onto emails locally?

Singk, I want to thank you again for all your help, it is sincerely appreciated!!! This is why pinstacks is so great. And you've only been with us for a few days!! Impressive.... Thanks again!

Dave

PIN/ID
    2437547A
    That stinks b/c I have no idea which subfolders my emails need to go to until I see what kind of info is in them. So it would be impossible to set up rules for those moves. BTW, I'm talking about me moving them from my PC/Outlook. I would think that the redirection would still be able to work in that case....basically ignore any redirection done from the PC if I have none of the redirection boxes checked.
    Anything comes in to Inbox will get forward by BES, so it's going to be ALL or NOTHING.

But here's another related question/problem that, if I can get figured out, will make the redirection problem moot. Right after my upgrade to 4.5 I set the general email options to keep messages for 15 days. My BB is keeping my messages beyond 15 days. Am I mistaken in my understanding of what this "keep messages" option does?
    I am using BB OS 4.5.x and BES 4.1.6.x, and my messages do not go beyone 15 days. The only messages that go beyond 15 days are PIN/MMS/SMS/Phonelogs.

It's looking like I'll need to manually delete all old emails, folder by folder, which seems like it would be a major pain since I have literally 100+ subfolders. Is there any way you (or anyone else) can think of for me to not have to do this? ie, NOT have my BB hold onto emails locally?
    I am receiving avg 400 emails (sometime thousands) a day and over 150 Subfolders and within subfolders with almost 100 Outlook Rules. The only that I can think of off is to set "keep messages" for 1 day.

PIN/ID
    317BC293
    Singk, you rock. Thanks a million once again for your help.

As it turns out my BB has started to behave and keep messages for only the 15 days I set it for, including in subfolders. Thus....I am once again a very happy, BB loving, camper.

Cheers