Hello, My First post. Great and helpful community here. My question is concerning email/account privacy. ... Server Admins forum

itchybb no está en línea Stack level 1

BES + BIS email: privacy issue

Advertisement

Hello,

My First post. Great and helpful community here. My question is concerning email/account privacy. I have a BB 8830 from work attached to our corporate BES. I know our IT policy allows personal email accounts to be added as well (BIS). My question is, if I set up my account @ blackberry.com to allow it to poll my gmail account, would my work have access to the emails.

I can understand that they wont have access to my gmail account, but since my GMAIL emails are going to my device, will they be able to see/know about my gmail emails.

Thanks in advance.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    I think so. If its that private, don't use it--just a general rule.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

markgallant no está en línea Stack level 3
    no they don't have access to your email.
    The BES has nothing to do at all with a BIS account.

Quote Originally Posted by markgallant View Post
    no they don't have access to your email.
    The BES has nothing to do at all with a BIS account.
    I understand that the BES and BIS are separate. But what if I have MDS enabled. I know this since I can access our intranet sites from my BB. Would this mean that the traffic from BIS accounts (email coming in) could possibly be getting routed thru BES.

I understand there is always a privacy risk, due to 1) this being a company device. 2) Being connected to a bes.

I just want to get a feel for how much privacy I can expect if I decide to add my GMAIL. What I want to know is: can the BES admins read any of my GMAIL emails once the emails HIT my device or during transport due to it being MDS enabled from a BES standpoint (I understand if they have other proxy servers/sniffers they can but thats not the scope of this question).
    Last edited by itchybb; 04-26-2008 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsNowOrNever View Post
    I think so. If its that private, don't use it--just a general rule.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Dag. Now will they be able to actually READ my gmail emails. Im more concered about their ability to see the email message/subject as opposed to knowing that I am reciveing gmail emails.
    Last edited by itchybb; 04-26-2008 at 02:03 PM.

markgallant no está en línea Stack level 3
    MDS only controls browsing or possibly applications that are specific to your job. The email traffic of BIS itself still just communicates over your Network Providers network to transport the data to your device.

And no they can not read your gmail emails.

Quote Originally Posted by markgallant View Post
    MDS only controls browsing or possibly applications that are specific to your job. The email traffic of BIS itself still just communicates over your Network Providers network to transport the data to your device.

And no they can not read your gmail emails.
    The answer I was looking for. Thank you very much.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Anything on a device connected to a BES can be monitored. You have to remember that the US Government is still the largest user of BB devices in the world. The determining factor on what can and can't be read has more to do with what has been enabled/disabled in the IT policy in place on the device.

As a general rule to follow, if you don't want it to be read by your company don't put it on your BB. Most companies don't monitor everything that happens on a BB mainly due to the amount of man hours and training that would require from IT but it is possible.

Zo

aldie no está en línea Stack level 3
    here is a related question...

i have been on BIS for a long time, but i have been on BES through work for the last month and a half.

i actually just got a new curve from work, to replace my old one, when i was reactivated onto the BES, all of my old settings came back, from the wallpaper i had, to my password keeper.

which is sketchy if you ask me!!

i used to keep my bank account info in my password keeper before but now that big brother is watching, and i can see it, i have taken them off.

is there a way for me to find out exactly what my work can see or not really?? or maybe an option on my end for what can be kept private, personal emails ect??

i actually meet with my IT guy for a managers meeting once a month, is there specific questions i can ask to find out with my work BES settings are?? something to look out for??

haha, sorry for all the questions, but this is all making me with i never got on the BES!! instant email is great, but at what cost??