Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey guys, i am just wondering, what is the reason i cannot use BES whith ... Server Admins forum

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38

Bes + Bis?

Advertisement

Hey guys, i am just wondering, what is the reason i cannot use BES whith BB Unlimited Personal email from rogers, what is the reason i cannot use BES with such plan?
    "Drive by tornado-kicking, boy, i wish i could see that" - Yaku
    "Yeah! It was epic" - Gene

kentrg no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    246FBBBA

Re: Bes + Bis?

who told you this

by the way I'm not experienced with rogers

PIN/ID
    232D8D38

Well in the plan descriptions it says bis, other plans that are bes compatible is mentioned. this says only bis.

sansaman no está en línea Stack level 2

because rogers will not allow a corporate customer go email crazy. If a company can sacrifice browsing for unlim emails for $15, where do you think rogers will make their money? Rogers wireless is a 80/20 company. 80% of their revenue comes from 20% of their corp customers, yet 80% of their consumers base generates 20% of their revenue.

Bis - $15+
    Bes - $40+

Plus, it's the way RIM designed their bes servers. It just won't work if you have a plan less than $40.
    Last edited by sansaman; 02-23-2008 at 01:08 PM.

PIN/ID
    232D8D38

I understand the revenue and how their profits will thin if bes and bis were the same, but the question was why exactly there is no access to bis? Is it due to a differrent server the trafic goes through?
    Is the bes 'port' blocked that kind of thing.

BIS server can be found at www.rogers.com/bis and a bes server is a seperate server purchased from rim installed on purchasing company's computers.

pinkert11 no está en línea Stack level 1

Rogers is assuming that since BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) is a corporate product that you would not solely be running personal email through it as it is designed to support corporate email and applications. Thus the 15 PERSONAL email plan is restricted to BIS (Blackberry Internet Service).

Rogers is not the only provider that makes a distiction between BIS with personal use data plans and BES with corporate data plans. Verizion for example also has different pricing and plans for BIS and BES.

pinkert11 no está en línea Stack level 1

Sorry double post, got timed out on
    Last edited by pinkert11; 02-23-2008 at 11:43 PM. Reason: double post

75stripes no está en línea Stack level 1

If you're provisioned for BIS with your wireless carrier, the RIM relay only has you as a prosumer customer, meaning non-corporate customer. With a BES plan, you are provisioned for Enterprise and Prosumer service, meaning you can use both; however, some companies don't allow for personal email on company devices, so it might be part of their IT policy to block BIS email on your 'berry.

With just a BIS plan, you will never be able to use BES, unless a wireless carrier employee actually provisions you on the RIM relay, in which case that employee would likely be disciplined. The reason for the price differences is that BES is direct push email, and BIS is traditional pull. However, you can have up to 10 personal email accounts on BIS, with one of them being a blackberry email address, which is push. That's how companies that don't have a BES server can still have push email for their employees by creating a blackberry email address in BIS, setting forwarding rules on their mail server to the blackberry email address, and changing the reply address on BIS to the work email address. Only a slightly longer delay in mail delivery (read seconds), but not nearly as long as the 15 - 20 minutes that BIS can take. However, Yahoo and Gmail work extremely well on BIS b/c they have agreements with RIM. Mail delivery of these email account types is practically push, though still BIS.

jdchamp31 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24A7ED37
    Quote Originally Posted by sansaman View Post
    Bis - $15+
    Bes - $40+

Plus, it's the way RIM designed their bes servers. It just won't work if you have a plan less than $40.
    It does not necessarily need to be over 40 bucks. TMO is 20 and you van use it and on my ANR plan through cingular its 25.

Quote Originally Posted by jdchamp31 View Post
    It does not necessarily need to be over 40 bucks. TMO is 20 and you van use it and on my ANR plan through cingular its 25.
    In canada with Rogers, $40+ is the required for bes

trashk no está en línea Stack level 1

75 got it right. Basically the only difference between bis and bes plans is the access they provide. Only accounts provisioned for bes access (I.e.the more expensive plan ), will be able to use bes functionality. You can't hack it, its a part of the system.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by 75stripes View Post
    The reason for the price differences is that BES is direct push email, and BIS is traditional pull.
    BIS is push email also. It's pushed to your device.

dvst8ion no está en línea Stack level 3

If you are on the BIS plan it should be a feature which is on your account which they use to regulate the conection. They are trying to make plans more affordable for consumers and still have the ability to support the bussiness customers. On average you use less data transfers with BIS accounts than if you are using the BES!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast