The director of my building just asked me a question, I'm not IT and don't ... Server Admins forum

vangorder no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

BES and Ugrading OS

Advertisement

The director of my building just asked me a question, I'm not IT and don't know the answer; he's looking for the answer before he upgrades to the Storm..

With all of the bugs, there are going to be a lot of OS upgrades for the Storm. He'll more than likely have the only Storm on our BES, so there probably won't be any OTA upgrades available to him (IT probably won't go through the trouble for just one user) -- I'll more than likely be tasked with upgrading his phone when new OSs come out.

That being said, will he have to be re-activated on the BES every time the OS gets upgraded? I remember having to do so on my Curve a few months ago. Just curious if there was any way to preserve this on the phone so I won't have to call IT for the activation password every time I upgrade the OS.

Any answers will be most helpful
    You have two ears, two eyes, and one mouth;
    therefore, listen and observe twice as often as you speak.

knottyrope no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I dont have a storm, but 1/2 the OS upgrades needed a wipe with 8000 series here.
    Obi-Wan Kenobi says "Use the search Luke", and Yoda says "RTFM, you should"
    Torch 9800 on BES 4.1.7 MR3, SQL 2005, Exch 03 with 250 hopeless users

http://twitter.com/#!/knottyrope

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Unless something has changed with the Storm, you will have to reactivate the device on the BES each time.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

8800bruin no está en línea Stack level 3
    You'll need to reactivate but if you have Desktop Manager set up, plugging the berry in will start the reactivation without needing an activation password because the BES already has the device PIN in the database and will resend service books and the appropriate activation stuff.

BLUSLS no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    8800BRUIN is right. I have my own bes at home and I upgrade my wifes and my phone by using the method described above. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    I concur.

jason1114 no está en línea Stack level 2
    As long as you use the latest bersion of desktop manager withthe storm updates and reactivation will be automatic. After the update though keep the device connected until you see Activation complete so you know its done

wellsm no está en línea Stack level 2
    Anyone know yet what the procedure is for a Wireless upgrade pushed from the BES? The ever-helpfull BB knowledge base says "Handheld OS software upgrades can be pushed directly to BlackBerry smartphones over the wireless network with no need for a local area network (LAN) connection between a computer and the BlackBerry smartphone." but no mention of HOW that happens. I assume OTA upgrade packages will come with documentation, but I'm considering throwing the switch on the policy that denies users to accept upgrades - I don't want untested new versions of software on our devices.

knottyrope no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask
    BES does not support OS upgrades yet.

And devices 4.5 and higher can only have the OS upgraded.
    Obi-Wan Kenobi says "Use the search Luke", and Yoda says "RTFM, you should"
    Torch 9800 on BES 4.1.7 MR3, SQL 2005, Exch 03 with 250 hopeless users

http://twitter.com/#!/knottyrope

wellsm no está en línea Stack level 2
    I knew about the device version for upgrade, but I didn't know if BES currently had that capability or not. I guess they could use Software Configurations, but they'll probably release an update.