Okay, here's a weird issue I have. I administer my agency's BlackBerry Enterprise Server and ... Server Admins forum

orcberg no está en línea Stack level 2

BES and the 8100 Pearl (RESOLVED)

Advertisement

Okay, here's a weird issue I have. I administer my agency's BlackBerry Enterprise Server and deal with user BlackBerry issues. We have BES 4.1 and typically use wireless enterprise activation to simplify the process of setting up new users. All of our users have either the 8703e, 7130, or 7250 devices on Verizon.

I have my own BlackBerry which is a Pearl on Cingular. A few months ago I had a 7100i through Nextel and added this (via wired activation) to the BES without issue. I've since gotten rid of that phone and removed myself from the BES completely. So today I finally got around to trying to add my Pearl to the BES. I've had nothing but problems.

First, I tried doing it wirelessly. I set up my user in BES and assigned an activation password, then tried to use Enterprise Activation on the Pearl to do it. Nothing, it just hung at the screen:

"Activating
    myemail@mydomain.com..."

I know it's sometimes slow, so I let it sit for quite a while. No progress at all. So I cancelled it, tried it again a little later (because I know there was an outage at RIM this morning). Still nothing.

So next, I go and hook the Pearl up to the BES server via USB and assign device. It sees the device fine, assigns it. Next thing I know it's doing the initial synchronization thing. Hooray, finally I think I've got it squared away. But, of course, I'm wrong. As soon as it finishes activation, I disconnect the Pearl from the BES and go on my way. I noticed that I had received some e-mails from Exchange on my BlackBerry, but this was only while the phone was physically connected to the BES. As soon as I disconnected it, no messages were forwarded, nor could I send e-mails on my BlackBerry from my Exchange account. All other accounts that I've set up on my Pearl (Gmail, Cingular's blackberry.net) work fine. If I try to resend the IT policy, it says "Processing" and as soon as I refresh the view, it turns to "Error".

I'm pretty confused here, I can't imagine what the issue is. I just wirelessly set up a new user yesterday with a 7130 and it worked like a charm. I can't imagine that it's because this phone is on a different service, because the Nextel phone activated fine. Can anyone think of what I might be missing here?
    Last edited by orcberg; 04-18-2007 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Problem resolved, see below

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Re: BES and the 8100 Pearl

I'm no BES expert, but could it be because the Pearl runs the 4.2 Handheld OS? And not the 4.1 of the others?
    Black G1 w/Root
    JesusFreke's Moddified RC30 v1.3
    Auto-rotate Enabled
    Auto-rotate Browser Enabled
    Manup's Blue Star 5 Theme

mcashman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32ae5c7c

I would try to do a complete wipe and reinstall of the o/s. After that if you can't get it to activate, if you have any other devices laying around, try to activate one of them on your account. If that works, it could be an issue with the radio on your Pearl. Are you able to get on the internet on your Pearl? Also, you may want to verify that EDGE is capital letters.

The 4.2 software shouldn't cause an issue like this on the BES.
    Last edited by mcashman; 04-18-2007 at 04:18 PM.

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

I would try what mcashman recommended. I was told by BB Support that OTA Activation is better and the wired activation can cause problems so, I would do the activation OTA and not plugged in the BES.

I can get to the internet on the pearl, and EDGE does show up in all upper-case.

Good point on the wipe. One thing I suspect is that maybe there's a problem from when I carried over data from my old 7100i. I suppose it's possible that there's some sort of conflict if any old BES connection info was moved over to the Pearl from the 7100i. I'll try wiping the device and starting over.

Should I wipe it via the Desktop Software, or through "Options | Security | General Settings | Wipe Handheld" on the device itself?

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

I would do it on the handheld.

I've resolved the issue.

I tried wiping the device with no success. My next step was to call Cingular and verify the plan was set up properly. Sure enough, I needed the Enterprise Data Plan added (only about $5 more per month, not bad at all). Totally painless process, the guy had it set up and my BB was activated on BES within about 10 minutes.

If only I'd done that right at the start.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Crewdawg257 no está en línea BES Pro

It is always the little things that get ya!
    --
    I suspect that Microsoft Access is nothing but Microsoft Excel with a VBScript wrapper.
    - Unknown

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Yes it is. Glad you got it fixed.