My company is thinking of going to a BES server and we are going to ... Server Admins forum

MadCOw no está en línea Stack level 2

Question BES and Internet Email

Advertisement

My company is thinking of going to a BES server and we are going to do a test basically first with one of the handsets. My Question is when you switch to BES, do you lose your blackberry email account?(user@provider.blackberry.net) We would need to be able to keep both so that personal emails can still be sent from and recieved on the device along with the company exchange server syncing with the devices

mcashman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32ae5c7c

Re: BES and Internet Email

No, you should be able to use both. I have my device set up on our BES and use the user@nextel.blackberry.net address as a backup in case our BES should go down.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

With BES, unless restricted through a policy, a BlackBerry device can use BOTH the BES and the carrier BIS.

You would retain the direct email address, user@carrier.BlackBerry.net, and the user would also be able to set up and use personal email on the BIS, without affecting the BES functionality.

shafferds no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23d2a4fe

you can keep both - and actually have up to 10 different e-mail accounts. however depending on your policy's set by your admin. they can dictate what you can and cant recieve or what you can do on your bb. (ie downloads and interent browsing)
    DO OR DO NOT THERE IS NO TRY

dkozinn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f260fb

One thing to be aware of is that although you'll get separate icons on the "desktop" for each mail account, the "main" mail account will have all the email intermixed in it, which can be a little annoying. I don't think there's a way around that.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

But there is!

Filters!

When in the Message list, go to Search, then Recall. In this screen you will see some names of default filters: Phone Calls (o), SMS (a), etc. Those "recalls" are shortcut/hotkey filters.

From the Message list, press ALT + O, and the list will filter to only show phone calls.

In the Recall screen, you can define any search for many criteria; whatever you want!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

For more infor on how the multiple email Icons work, check out this post, Understanding Multiple Mail App Icons (BIS 2.x). When I have a liitle more time, I'll write up a better post on how all this works and how to create and use the filters.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

mcashman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32ae5c7c

There's also a software product called NotifyLink that allows you to keep a seperate mailbox, but it can get pricey as it requires another server.

MadCOw no está en línea Stack level 2

Thanks for all your help. I will actually be the admin but all of this is new to me so all the details I can get would be appreciated, Im now reading through reems of documentation to see if I cant impliment the express server but that too Im running into some isses, Iv got to the point where the SRP validate, but as soon as I click next I get a MAPI error saying it cant inialize, so thats what Im working out right now. I think its beause eexchange is on a different box

garycutri no está en línea Stack level 3

You can use BES and BIS at the same time. When you send an email you have an option to select the BES email or BIS email. If your Telco has BIS 2.x you will have a sperate Message icon just for the BIS email, but it does also put a copy in your normal messages.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

gary,

It does not put a copy in your normal messages. That is the message. The Icon for individual accounts is just a link to the messages list with a preset filter to show only those messages received by that account.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

paulst no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by MadCOw
    Thanks for all your help. I will actually be the admin but all of this is new to me so all the details I can get would be appreciated, Im now reading through reems of documentation to see if I cant impliment the express server but that too Im running into some isses, Iv got to the point where the SRP validate, but as soon as I click next I get a MAPI error saying it cant inialize, so thats what Im working out right now. I think its beause eexchange is on a different box
    Have you installed the Exchange System Manager on the BES? This is part of the Pre-Reqs before you install the Server software.