Hi all, hope this isn't a stupid question... I have searched the forums but can't ... Server Admins forum

Spoook no está en línea BES Pro

BES and Desktop Manager?

Advertisement

Hi all, hope this isn't a stupid question... I have searched the forums but can't find the answer - although I'm sure someone has already asked and I'm just using the wrong search terms or something...

I have a few clients on BB's with BES servers setup runing off Exchange and they all work fine but only sync the users' mailbox.

I have one particular situation where I need to be able to sync a different contact folder. Basically - a PA needs to be able to have her bosses contacts on her BB and the Boss also needs his contacts on his own BB. I know that the desktop manager gives you the capability to sync public folders or another mailbox. So my question is, can I combine BES wireless sync with the Desktop sync? For example, with the PA, can I have her mail and calendar etc sync wirelessly with her mailbox through BES, but have the contacts of her boss sync through the desktop manager when she plugs the BB in?

If so, how do I achieve this? Do I have to first disable wireless sync for the contacts in the BES Manager?

Thanks so much for any light you can shed onto this.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: BES and Desktop Manager?

You can sync any Contacts folder using Desktop Manager. You just can't sync it wirelessly - it can only sync wired. The PA needs to have full access to the Boss' Contacts AND Mailbox, and should have the Boss' Mailbox opening automatically in Outlook. You then manually change where the Address Book syncs to.

Just as an interesting side note.... If you create a folder under the user's default Contacts folder (it has to be a Contacts type folder), items in the sub folder will also sync wirelessly to the BlackBerry. At my company a large group has a contacts folder under the Public Folders. I wanted to create a script that would synchronize the Public Contacts folder to a sub folder, but couldn't find anyone with enough expertise to do it. If you think you have anyone like that available, please let me know!
    JerryD

Thanks, I figured that was the case. Do you know if you can do half/half? Obviuosly, I would still like to be able to syc her emails wirelessly and preferably her calendar as well, but have her contacts sync through the Desktop Manager. Have you had success doing this?

tapout no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ does this have to be a dynamic, constantly updated list? Yes syncing seems so old school and I like the prior poster's suggestion.
    My first thought was to cradel up and xfe the contacts. But get them in the habbit of sharing contacts via Outlook (or whatever platform you have) this way contacts will be in sync and they don't have to resort to cradeling everytime...

hi! Do you mean every time they add a new contact, to just add it to both lists? I had thought of that and proposed it to the PA. Problem really occurs when the boss adds the contacts on the road on his BB. The address gets added to his contacts but he has to remember to add it to her contacts when he gets in...

Sorry - to answer your question it pretty much has to be dynamic. I also suggested to the PA that once a week she could just copy his entire list to hers, but she is reluctant to do this mostly because he has about 3000 contacts and it takes 20 mins for it to happen each time... Just to confirm can you cradle and share the contacts vie the desktop and do the rest wirelessly?

Does anyone know the answer to this? I would have thought it would be something fairly well documented or attempted, but I can find nothing on it? Can you use a combination of BES synchronisation and the Desktop Manager?