HI All, I'm a new BES Admin and I find it curious that the admin ... Server Admins forum

Cayugagirl no está en línea Stack level 1

Question BES and Antivirus???

Advertisement

HI All,

I'm a new BES Admin and I find it curious that the admin before me did not have any antivirus on the Server.

I've tried looking around, but I can't find much information on whether it is recommended to not install antivirus???? Or was my predecessor just lazy?

Any advice is very appreciated!

thanks!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: BES and Antivirus???

Cayugagirl, Welcome to PinStack.

Can't help with this problem, as I really know very little about BES, but wanted to welcome you anyway. Hopefully, someone with knowledge about this topic will be along soon to help.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Cayugagirl no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks for the warm welcome Rcbjr!

I was thinking today I could try and call RIM, but I was hoping to avoid it...

JEspiritu no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

Our BES is safely tucked away in a locked down environment with the help of an Enterprise-Class antivirus solution installed on all of our servers in the Data Center. The important thing to note is that if you choose to install antivirus protection, ensure that it is configured properly. For instance, you may elect to have an e-mail sent to you in the event that an infection has been detected and quarantined/deleted. You may also configure an Exclusions list to avoid certain directories on the HDD(s). Of course, there are several other specific settings that will require your attention, and that will be up to you.

As far as the reason the previous BES Admin did not install any a/v software goes, I would have a conversation with the WAN/LAN Administrator to determine if it is indeed necessary to install any malware protection. The network may be secure enough as-is.

HaMakor no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    203813B3

Hi Cayugagirl, the majority of the sites that I support use Trend antivirus on their servers, with one site using Symantec Enterprise. I haven't run into any problems with the virus software and BES, but I have had plenty of situations where AV software didn't play nicely with the mail server(s) software, so that might be why your server wasn't running any AV solution - though it's not something I would recommend. It really depends on your site's configuration, but if the BES server is nothing but a BES server and the mail is on a separate server and that server is protected by AV software, you should be reasonably protected against email-carried viruses etc, but it wouldn't protect the BES server against network viruses. I just wouldn't feel comfortable with a server not running AV software.

Cheers!

hauphan no está en línea Stack level 1

To elaborate slightly, when emails come in, it will hit your mail server first, then BES, then sent to the device. Your mail server will/should be scanning emails so whatever you recieve on your device is virus free.