Hi Guys, Still a semi new to Blackberry and BES. I have a client setup ... Server Admins forum

kayman no está en línea Stack level 2

Question BES 4.1 Send attachemnt + View RTF + Attachment Service

Advertisement

Hi Guys,

Still a semi new to Blackberry and BES.

I have a client setup on BES 4.1 (14 users with pearls) and its all working fine, however they have some questions which I couldnt answer so hopfully one of you bright sparks can.

1) Can users send attachments via email with BES or is a 3rd party program required or do they have to use MMS (email would be prefered)

One of the smart users has setup BIS as well on his device and he can send attachments via BIS but cannot when selecting the BES account.

2) Can users view attachments such as .rtf etc with BES or is a 3rd party program needed.

3) Will BES Attachment service give me any extra functionality and is it needed / worth installing? i.e will it allow users to send attachments via emails etc. I cant find laymans terms of what it actually does.

4) Can I setup their internet browsing to go thrugh our internet connection instead of the carriers as I beleive that was a cheaper way?

Your help is greatly appreciated
    K

wizkid1981 no está en línea BES Guru

Re: BES 4.1 Send attachemnt + View RTF + Attachment Service

Quote Originally Posted by kayman
    Hi Guys,

Still a semi new to Blackberry and BES.

I have a client setup on BES 4.1 (14 users with pearls) and its all working fine, however they have some questions which I couldnt answer so hopfully one of you bright sparks can.

1) Can users send attachments via email with BES or is a 3rd party program required or do they have to use MMS (email would be prefered)

One of the smart users has setup BIS as well on his device and he can send attachments via BIS but cannot when selecting the BES account.

2) Can users view attachments such as .rtf etc with BES or is a 3rd party program needed.

3) Will BES Attachment service give me any extra functionality and is it needed / worth installing? i.e will it allow users to send attachments via emails etc. I cant find laymans terms of what it actually does.

4) Can I setup their internet browsing to go thrugh our internet connection instead of the carriers as I beleive that was a cheaper way?

Your help is greatly appreciated
    K
    Hi there,

I would suggest reading over the following RIM White Paper regarding the BlackBerry Attachment Service.

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...nodeid=1285991

The article explains what the attachment service is, what types of attachments it can open, different ways to set it up on your network, etc.

But to answer a few of your quesitons:

1) No you cannot send attachments from the device. If you receive an email with an attachment on it then you can forward it and will work like a regular email but you cannot create a new email and then attach something.

2) Attachment service cannot view rtf files but there may be something third party for that one either on this site somewhere else.

The Attachment Service preserves document formats (for example, bullets, font styles, tables, hyperlinks), and displays images that a user can manipulate.
    The Attachment Service supports the following file formats:

Adobe .pdf files
    bitmaps (.bmp files)
    Corel WordPerfect documents
    HTML files
    Microsoft Excel spreadsheets
    Microsoft Windows Metafile format (.wmf files)
    Microsoft Word documents
    Microsoft PowerPoint presentations (.pps and .ppt files)
    text files
    .gif and .png files
    .jpg and .jpeg files
    .tif and .tiff files
    .zip files

3) You need the attachment service installed if you want users to be able to view attachments from their devices.

What is the attachment service? As per RIM article KB-04864 see below...

The BlackBerry Attachment Service is a component of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server that converts message attachments into a format a user can view on a BlackBerry wireless device.

4) You can setup browsing to use only the blackberry browser which uses the MDS service from your BES. This can be accomplished by creating an IT Policy to enforce it. It's also more secure usually.

Hope this helps you out!

Mate thats fantastic thank you so much for the detailed response really appreciate your efforts.

I'll have a read up on MDS Service now.

I believe the pearls must come with the attachment service installed on the phones already? as they are all able to view documents and excel files as it is (and I haven't installed the attachment service on the server)

Thanks again.
    K

wizkid1981 no está en línea BES Guru

In order to view attachments on any device the attachment service needs to be installed.

Are you sure you don't have it installed? Just look in your Windows Services for the Blackberry Attachment service. It is usually the only Blackberry service that starts using the local system credentials.

my bad it is installed .... and the MDS service is too .. just gotta figure out how to use it.