Morning all, I was wondering if anyone can assist in a problem i come accross. ... Server Admins forum

mussdemi no está en línea Stack level 1

BES 4.1 - IT policies being rejected after migration. Please help

Advertisement

Morning all, I was wondering if anyone can assist in a problem i come accross. I have recently conducted a new BES migration from our existing environment (BES4.0) to a new server with BES 4.1.4. All the mailbox migrations were successfull however I came to notice that the IT policy under each migrated account shows "IT Policy status: Error". Just to clarify here is how I performed each individual berry migration. .

1. I moved each mailbox manually using exchange tasks to the new exchange server.
    2. I removed each bes account from the old BES and when prompted I chose to retain the user information.
    3. I created each new account in the new BES.
    4. I immediately noticed that it automatically generated a pin and the status changed to "initializing"
    5. After a few minutes the pearls and 8800's seem to start working again and emails coming through.
    6. BES indicated that each account is "running" ok.

Having seen these response I didnt feel the need to wipe the handhelds and do a enterprise re-activation (saving me a lot of time and hassle). By chance though I noticed that the IT policy status was showing "Error". I re-applied the IT policy and send it back out from the BES along with service books however this has made no difference. I have removed the users and re-added them and even cleared the stats but this has made no difference. Having read other posts here, I come to the impression that the old IT policy binded to the old BES is retained in the handheld. Is there a way I can wipe the old IT policy out without wiping the handhelds???

Any advice is most helpfull.

thanks in advance

GazN no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: BES 4.1 - IT policies being rejected after migration. Please help

I had a slightly similar experience to this when migrating to 4.1.4
    I had problems with the SRP key, and in turn this caused handsets not to recieve the correct service book etc.

We migrated users back to the old server, then moved them back to the new server - re-applied Policies and service books also - that worked in my instance.

Hope that it helps....
    -------
    Sorry - if you need more detailed info on what I did, let me know!
    Last edited by GazN; 01-29-2008 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Automerged.

mussdemi no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks Gazn for the tip. This is really weird right coz I just tried to re-activate another handheld and each time it says "IT policy was rejected so activation has been cancelled. Clear your handheld and retry" I am trying to avoid wiping all the handhelds. There must surely be a way to override the existing policy or delete it. Having done more reseach apparantly you can remove the handheld IT policy by using the BlackBerry Java Development Environment v4.3.0 and running the javaloader -u resettofactory which deletes the local policies. I am not sure what else it does but will find out more later.

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

You can try sending the Default IT Policy or a Blank Policy to the handhelds; then re-apply your IT policy

PwDiamond no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249df67d

I had this problem a while ago and actually went through this a while ago and after spending several days with it driving me nuts ended up using a coveted support incident. I have several documents and e-mails as well as a special java-loader the RIM engineer gave me, which I could forward to you...

Device policy, once it's on there is hard to get off... After finding this out, I actually created a "Lockdown" policy which I push out to stolen devices, which basically destroys the device, as I put in just about every horribly restricting and conflicting policies, such as turning off phone and all sync capabilities, requiring a 14 digit password, 1 minute time-out, disabling of all bluetooth capabilities, adding the letters a-z (with one "safe charachter" left out just in case we get the device back) as password disallowments... it was kind of fun actually, and EXTREMELY satisfying to see it render useless a device stolen from one of our employee's bags by an Aeromexico baggage handler.

What I learned from RIM and my experience is that the policies REALLY stick (for example, in the instance where we have the "lockdown" policy, even if someone puts another sim card in the device, they'll not be able to use it without advanced experience on the BES... it's bricked.

Also learned that the PIN actually can and does reside in the users actual mailbox, which could explain your seeing the devices populating immediately (same thing happened to me) (RIM sent me a tool to clean the gunk out)

Couple questions:

1.) After purging the users, did you go and manually run the maintenance jobs on your database?
    2.) Have you tried doing a handheld cleanup in the BES tools?
    3.) Have you tried doing a "Nuke" (not a wipe) on any of the devices then trying?

I basically had to do a combination of the above to get everything up the right way. Also, does your old policy have wireless backup set up?

PwDiamond no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249df67d

Quote Originally Posted by cwax View Post
    You can try sending the Default IT Policy or a Blank Policy to the handhelds; then re-apply your IT policy

Also something I thought I'd add, complimenting Cwax' post, I've found it a good practice to reset it to default first before reapplying/pushing out the new policy... sometimes bits and pieces of policy leftovers can get hung up in the device. I had this issue today, so thought I'd add this in.