I am total noob here so bear with my ignorance. I am installing this on ... Server Admins forum

ltholley no está en línea Stack level 1

BES 4.1 Install Stuck

Advertisement

I am total noob here so bear with my ignorance. I am installing this on Windows 2003 machine with SQL 2000 and I get through the install section and then restart and then when it goes to upgrade the database I get this error "DB upgrade failed. Error executing an SQL statement. I cannot get past this and ofcourse I have a couple of guys waiting to use their new 8700s. I went on Blackberrie's tech help site and tried their workarounds and fixes but nothing works for me. Any help in this matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Luke

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: BES 4.1 Install Stuck

Let run through the requirments again:
    * The BES Server should be run on a dedicated server computer with 1 GHZ+ CPU and 256 MB+ of RAM with 10 GB+ of free disk space.
    * The BES Server should have a fresh installation of Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition operating system with no untrusted logins.
    * The BES Server must have Internet access.
    * The firewall/proxy cannot strip out unknown HTTP headers when the BES Server connects to the BigFix Fixlet servers at http://sync.bigfix.com on port 80.
    * All BES Clients should be able to connect to the BES Server using the HTTP protocol on the specified port (default port is 52311).
    * The BES Server should be able to send UDP messages on the specified port (default port is 52311) to all the BES Clients.
    * MSDE or SQL Server 2000/2005 with non-default instances must not be installed (installations with default instances are ok). If no database is detected, the installer will prompt you to install MSDE 2000.
    * The BES Server must be accessible from each BES Console using an ODBC connection.

Try creating the BESMgmt db manually using the createdb.exe utility located in the /Database folder on your BES CD. Run it via cmd. After you've created the db, try opening it db with the SQL enterprise manager / Then repeat the BES install and point to the BES Mgmt location. You can use the same name - BESMgmt - or change it.

If that does not work then follow these steps:
    1. Using Administrator tools open 'Services' and Stop the mssql service and set to disable
    2. Remove the BES installation (via add remove programs)
    3. Restore or cleanup your registry.
    4. Delete any *.mdf & *.ldf files in the /Database directory on the mssql server.
    5. Restart the server
    6. Back to services, Restart the SQL server and set to automatic.
    7. Open the Event viewer check for the out of anything mssql related.
    8. Ensure the security permissions for the BES service account on MSSQL are correct.
    9. Run the createdb utility again. If the same problem appears, it's probably the SQL server install or configuration.
    10. Re-install the BES server software.

If this fails then do a clean install of the w2k3 server OS, start over from scratch using the manual. Hope your enviornment allows that.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Make sure you use the attached guide like a bible

Welcome to pinstack!
    Attached Files Attached Files

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Well, I think Hydn's got you, Welcome to Pinstack!!!

ltholley no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how it works out.

Luke

OrientMeatPi no está en línea Stack level 1
    I've had exactly the same problem. If you go through the sql scripts in the D:\UserData\Software\Research in Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1.2\Database\DBInstallScripts\SQLServer\4.1.2 folder you'll see, as an example, tables.sql contains two different case-spellings of ITPolicy2.

Sorry, but this is just sloppy coding, plain and simple.

I'm paranoid to just rely on correcting these scripts manually and re-running, in case there are other reasons the SQL Server needs to be case-insensitive, so I've had to install on a different server, purely because I cannot change the case sensitivity of legacy databases on my main SQL server and I simply cannot trust BES to run correctly by just tweaking the scripts.

I'd be grateful if anyone from RIM who might be reading this to pass these comments on to the coders. A version of BES that is collation-agnostic would be a great relief to many DBAs, I'm sure.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    ltholley, Welcome to PinStack.

Let us know how this goes.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    OrientMeatPi, Welcome to PinStack.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. That information is good to know I'm sure. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help with your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

garycutri no está en línea Stack level 3

cynep no está en línea Stack level 1

Hey, new here! I'm living in various forums now just to get the darn BES to work - probably one of the most user unfriendly and most cumbersome (and poorly written) programs I've seen in my 15 years of IT career, but I digress.

None of the solutions in the article above helped... however, install log did. Apparently BESMgmt.ldf and .mdf files were already in the default sql directory. Once I moved them out of there, everything worked like magic.

So, make sure those two are not in the same folder where you're trying to create BESMgmt.* instance.

Cheers!

mvarre no está en línea Stack level 1

cynep - perfect man - that was it for me!

ragdol no está en línea Stack level 1

Thank you! I've been hitting a wall for a day. Moving the BESMgmt database files out of that directory worked.