i am on bes as well and have ISA installed, wanted to know how can ... Server Admins forum

mqasim no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20508e6b

Bandwith on BB browser

Advertisement

i am on bes as well and have ISA installed, wanted to know how can i enable my full bandwith to be used on the blackberry browser? My office internet is quite fast, but bb browswer is quite slow.. Any way to increase the speed?

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Bandwith on BB browser

A BlackBerry is still on the 2G network which is not as fast as the newer 3G networks.
    Go to http://www.jbenchmark.com/index.jsp, register and then on your device go to http://wap.jbenchmark.com, download the test app and run it and see how it performs against other like devices.

My Cingular 8800 with about a -66dBm signal I got the following results:
    Download speed: 140Kbit/sec
    Upload speed: 36Kbit/sec
    Response time: 836ms
    Test took 39 seconds and generated 312 KBytes of traffic.
    JerryD

bigzach79 no está en línea Stack level 2

How bout for pearl?

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

It is all in your providers network. If you are EDGE it is slower than EVDO.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

I am on 1x service and I get ahout 90Kb on my device. I do live in a a smaller town. On evdo it was a lot faster. Next time I am in the service I will run it and post results.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    20508e6b

Can someone clear this out for me. While on BES am i using internet through my carrier or through my BES server? The thing is if for some reason by server is off then i cant seem to use my internet.

jock no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    250B40B0

When you MDS connection is through your company BES then all your data will pass throught the BES and your corporate network and firewalls to the outside world. Only exception to this is if your BES IT policy allows you to use the WAP browser when the network traffic goes via the mobile carriers link to the web (and you are charged for this seperatly to your blackberry data tarrif)

PIN/ID
    20508e6b

Quote Originally Posted by jock
    When you MDS connection is through your company BES then all your data will pass throught the BES and your corporate network and firewalls to the outside world. Only exception to this is if your BES IT policy allows you to use the WAP browser when the network traffic goes via the mobile carriers link to the web (and you are charged for this seperatly to your blackberry data tarrif)
    thanks for the reply. but still really confused. How do I set on my BES server that i want to use my network internet and not the wap internet through my mobile carrier. I dont want to be charged seperately for using my carriers internet.

jock no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    250B40B0

Mqasim

For BES 4-1 and above

Blackberry Manager > select Blackberry Domain > Select Global Tab > Edit Properties

Now select the IT policy Group > select the policy you want to edit > select the service exclusivity policy group. You should now be in the dialog I have attached below in the screenshot

This gives you the control over what services can be used from the blackberry browser e.g. WAP, IM, ICQ etc

The second option Allow other Browser Services is described as follows and if set correctly will force all browser traffic through your BES and corporate network

“Specify whether or not users can use other browser services on the BlackBerry device.

Set this rule to False to force all browser traffic through your organizations BlackBerry Enterprise Server and prevent users from installing other browser services.

If you do not set this rule, a default value of True will be used.

This rule applies only to Java-based BlackBerry devices version 3.6.0 and higher”.

There are also IT policy options for hiding WAP browser icons etc under the Device only Items Group > enable WAP config

Hope this helps you out with your setup

Jock
    Last edited by jock; 05-23-2007 at 05:49 AM.

PIN/ID
    20508e6b

Thanks for the reply, really helped