We have 600 users on our BES, spread all over Europe on multiple exchange servers. ... Server Admins forum

vibe666 no está en línea Stack level 1

backlog of 12,000 msg's and rising?

Advertisement

We have 600 users on our BES, spread all over Europe on multiple exchange servers.

On Sunday there was a patching run of all our mail servers and one of the servers was rebooted but did not come back up fast enough, and when the BES was patched it had rebooted before this other server was back online. As a result, no mails were being forwarded to or from the users devices.

As this happened on Sunday and none of the usual post patching checks revealed any problems it was mid-morning Monday before we realised it was a BES wide outage.

We had a backlog of around 4000 msg's at this time, which built up to 8000 later that day. We were hoping would drop overnight as the flow of msg's eased off, but coming in this morning the number of pending messages is up to 12,000 and still rising.

Is there any way to find the cause of the continued backlog and clear it?

Thanks in advance.

dlo_mtsport no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: backlog of 12,000 msg's and rising?

Are messages being delivered currently?

yes, but the number of 'pending' messages in the BlackBerry Manager just keeps going up.

it's at nearly 14,000 messages now although if I send a message to or from our own test BB it arrives pretty quickly, within a couple of minutes.

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro

Ok ooops didnt meant consistnecy service my fault. I meant the router and I think Dispatcher. Also make sure you port 3101 isnt being blocked. You can check this by browsing to:
    C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Utility and running the bbsrptest.exe. It should look something like this if everything is good.

Last edited by jrockett; 09-20-2007 at 09:44 AM.
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

No it's not running, it's diabled. Not sure how or why, but it would seem to indicate that it was done by someone purposely if it's set to disabled.

Is there any reason why it would be disabled, and could there be any negative effects from turning it back on?

I'm not even sure if the 'pending' messages is an accurate figure or not, or if its safe to purge them from the BES. They don't seem to be affecting normal sending/receiving at this point but I'm not sure how the server will react in the long term.

if only we had a support contract to fall back on, or a little BES training.

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Can you see if it is just 1 user or all users that have pedning messages. This should be availabe from the Blackberry Manager Console. Look and see who has messages pending. This might help us trouble shoot the problem. Also check what jrockett said too.