Aside from seeing the reports in your sent folder, can someone tell me if there's ... Server Admins forum

lb09 no está en línea Stack level 1

Auditing Blackberry Messenger on BES

Advertisement

Aside from seeing the reports in your sent folder, can someone tell me if there's a way to find out whether or not your BES administrator has enabled an audit on your BBM convos? I have not seen any sent messages come across my devide, but my coworkers and I are interested in finding out whether our workplace is auditing our BBM convos. Thanks.

wellsm no está en línea Stack level 2
    I don't think you will even see anything in your sent folder. It is nearly live, and silent. If your admin wants to log your messages (of any type) you won't know.

JCG3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    if you are worried then dont do what ever you are worried about you IT guy finding out about on your Company phone! it is their phone, not your personal phone. they do track everything. they have systems scanning every email you send looking for specific things (if your company is big enough, if your worried then the company must be big enough). i have worked in the IT part of a global finanical firm and the head of IT there said that he could pull anyones email records at anytime. he also gets alerts when someone is triggering the filters that are scanning your emails. basicly, if you dont want your boss to know, dont do it on their phone!

jason1114 no está en línea Stack level 2
    BBM messages are not logged even if audit is set up. PIN to PIN not BBM can be logged as well as SMS and phone calls but BBM to BBM messages can not be logged

showmethemuney no está en línea Stack level 1
    so what is the correct answer on the above topic, can you log BBM if you audit them through the BES? does it have any bearing on whether the users have pins loaded or not?
    Last edited by showmethemuney; 09-14-2009 at 04:12 PM.

revision no está en línea Stack level 1
    I'll let you know in about 30 minutes, I just enabled this in an IT policy, assigned it to myself for testing. As for the people using a company phone and having stuff on there they don't want exposed to the company, just don't do it if you're that paranoid. What some of the users have posted about everything being logged in bigger companies is true. I work for a fortune 500 and we log almost everything, and it isn't because we care about what everyone is doing that is naughty, it's because frivolous lawsuits are running rampant and as of January 2008 the company and IT department (me) are liable to be able to produce any and all communications and electronic evidence someone such as myself or any other employee involved in the lawsuit.

Here's my thing, if you are doing something that could possibly negatively impact your company, or something you just don't want your company to ever know about, don't use company equipment. It doesn't belong to you, it and all data contained within that device, computer, whatever, is all property of the company. I abide by the same rules.

Once I see what happens (barring I configured it wrong) I'll post my findings. We don't currently log BBM messages here at my work but we have it locked down so that you can't add anyone outside of the company to your BBM list. Emails, Hard Drives, Web Sites, are all logged however, and indexed for us to search through. Amazingly since doing so the number of lawsuits seem to be slowly creeping down. First inter-department leak will change that I'm sure though.

revision no está en línea Stack level 1
    OK Here's my findings. It can be logged, sent via email to the destination mailbox but good lord it is ugly to make out. I can't think of anyone that could have the time to surf through this if they wanted to. I sent a couple conversations to people I know telling them I was testing it. It breaks the messages into chunks, only displays the contents sent by the user with the policy applied to them. It merges all the chats together so for instance I sent messages to two people but the text in the email shows the different chats together. Apparently it does this because each time you end a conversation or open a new conversation it considers them separate data streams. Talking to Ted and I close the convo and start talking to Jim it creates a new message handler, then if Ted replies it uses same data stream until I close convo with one of them. It didn't show in sent items on my hand-held but it DID inside of my Outlook. For instance:
    Code:
       10:18 PM    >     PIN1    STATUS:FIRST LAST 
       10:18 PM    >     PIN1    STATUS:FIRST LAST
       10:26 PM    <     PIN2    Test should happen in next 10 minutes heh
       10:27 PM    <     PIN2    Supposedly it will put a msg in sent items of uyser's phone. 
       10:28 PM    <     PIN2    Yea
    PIN1 I never sent any text to, it simply displays status changes too...
    Example 2:
    Code:
       Nov 4, 2009
       9:33 PM     <     *     STATUS:Active 
       9:34 PM     <     PIN3    I might have bb messenger logging working
       9:36 PM     <     PIN4    Do me a favor, shut down av, I think it is making the sun set earlier now. LOL.
    Now imagine those are 2 out of 3 emails that were sent for a 1 hour log time. I would get 1500 emails per hour if I enabled this on all my users.

The key here though is that it does show in the Sent items in Outlook if they have the auditing turned on.

showmethemuney no está en línea Stack level 1

follow up

thanks for the info, so to sum up the story it is possible to log the bbm as long as they are willing to go through the emails to get them.

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    Bottom line nothing is safe from the BES. It all depends on how the IT policy is written and if you don't know how its written then you better assume that it can be monitored.

PennyG no está en línea Stack level 1
    OK
    To do audit as REVISION did, does the BES-admin have to get a special program or is it difficult to do?

When you say "It breaks the messages into chunks, only displays the contents sent by the user with the policy applied to them." does that mean they only see all of what I write (i.e. my WHOLE text message) but not what the other person's message/reply is even if the person is on another company's BES?

My understanding is that the default setting for Blackberry Messenger is that only the date, time, name and PIN number of the user is logged but NO CONTENT on typical BES programs. Does it show the date, time, name and PIN number of the other person in the conversation?

Thank you for any clarification you can add! I cannot ask my BES-admin or it will put me on his radar.