Good morning everyone. Admittedly, I'm rather new to this whole BES thing, so this question ... Server Admins forum

shuteru no está en línea Stack level 2

Assign New Handheld to Existing User ?

Advertisement

Good morning everyone.

Admittedly, I'm rather new to this whole BES thing, so this question may be really simple. And if it has already been asked, I apologize, I did try a search but the site is moving very slow ATM and I have to get this answer as soon as possible.

The Question:
    In order to assign a new handheld to an existing user with a handheld already assigned to them, what steps do we need to take? Is it as simple as Re-generating a new passord, emailing it to them and having them enter that password in their Enterprise activation? Or are there more steps involved? Thanks in advance.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Brand new in Box - Nextel 7100i For sale !

Details HERE

fbriceno97 Guest

Re: Assign New Handheld to Existing User ?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ there is a guide with all the information step by step, follow this link

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...tore_data.html

shuteru no está en línea Stack level 2

Thank you very much for the link, I was looking for that, but my Search-Fu was very lethargic. Much appreciated!
    Brand new in Box - Nextel 7100i For sale !

Details HERE

fbriceno97 Guest

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ you are welcome!

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by shuteru
    Good morning everyone.

Admittedly, I'm rather new to this whole BES thing, so this question may be really simple. And if it has already been asked, I apologize, I did try a search but the site is moving very slow ATM and I have to get this answer as soon as possible.

The Question:
    In order to assign a new handheld to an existing user with a handheld already assigned to them, what steps do we need to take? Is it as simple as Re-generating a new passord, emailing it to them and having them enter that password in their Enterprise activation? Or are there more steps involved? Thanks in advance.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    The short answer is yes, you CAN just send the user a new Enterprise Activation password and they will be set up on the BES. However, in the environment I support we have significant problems with OTA Activations (see below).

Also, be aware that the Backup/Restore process described can take an hour or two!

IF you can convince the user to live with the email on their old device not migrating to the new device, you can do the entire process in the time it takes to perform the Enterprise Activation (20-60 minutes depending...)

The following are for an Exchange/Outlook environment:

WIRED: - On a machine with Outlook configured for the user:
    1. Install Desktop Manager 4.2 SP1.
    2. Start Outlook in Connected mode with the user's profile.
    3. Start Desktop Manager and associate it with the user's profile if asked. Desktop Manager will pick up the user's CURRENT (old device's) PIN automatically.
    4. If full wireless sync is not being used, plug in old device and perform a full sync (to get the data from the BB to Outlook), and unplug the old BB.
    5. In DM, go into Synchronize, UNCHECK ALL BOXES, go to the Configuration tab and hit the [Reset Configuration] button.
    6. Plug in NEW BlackBerry. Desktop Manager will see the new PIN and ask if you want to associate the current profile with the new PIN. The BES will get the PIN change, and Enterprise Activation will begin wirelessly - synchronizing all data.
    I've done that in as little as 20 minutes.

WIRELESSLY - If you are in a completely wireless environment - that is, Address Book, Calendar, Notes, and Tasks are all synchronizing wirelessly, AND as indicated above, the user can live with loosing all the email on the old device, simply send the user a new Enterprise Activation password. The BES will automatically switch the user (email address) to the new PIN. Over The Air Enterprise Activation fails more than 50% of the time in our environment, but if it works in yours, this will take from 20-45 minutes depending on the amount of data and connection speed.

Note (on BES 4.0), Pictures and Ringtones are NOT restored, but Browser Bookmarks should be fully restored, and depending on how big a leap the change from the old device to the new device is, many settings will also be retained.

Steps to take to increase your odds of a successful OTA Enterprise Activation:
    1. Wipe the Handheld
    2. When the device comes back up, turn on the radio and wait for ALL CAPS INDICATOR next to the Signal Strength indicator (EDGE, GPRS, EVDO, 1X, etc.) If the indicator is in lower case, there is NO DATA CONNECTION!
    3. Wait for the Wireless Registration email to arrive. Force it (Host Routing Table --> Click the wheel/menu button and select Register Now). Do not proceed without the device successfully registering.
    4. (Highly debated) On GSM devices, go into Options --> SMS and change Network to Send Over to GPRS Preferred. Some say this is unnecessary, but I've had two devices that didn't work until SMS was set this way (and the setting can't hurt!).
    5. Set the Time Zone, set the Time Source to Network if possible, and make sure the Date and Time are correct.
    Over The Air Activation takes a minimum of 15 minutes (on an 8700 with not too much data), and can take as much as 60 on a slow device (like the 7100 series) with a lot of data.
    JerryD