Having browsed this forum, I can see that you are all very helpful and tolerant ... Server Admins forum

IHateMyTreo no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Advice for Ex-Treo User?

Advertisement

Having browsed this forum, I can see that you are all very helpful and tolerant of ignorant newcomers such as myself. I have read the great article from Mark Rejhon: "What Are The Methods of Receiving Email On BlackBerry?" I'm still in the dark on some issues.

I hope you can give me some much-needed advice.

I am sick of my Treo, having gone through three replacement 650's and a 680. I cannot put up with 3 crashes per day and still run a business (solo lawyer).

I think I will have to buy a BB device but from my research I do not believe that the native BB software will allow me to accomplish what I "supposedly" had with Treo.

I have Outlook 2003 installed on my desktop. No Exchange server, no enterprise. Just plain old Outlook. I have my own domain.

What is the best and most cost-effective way to receive email on Outlook and the BB? I am NOT terribly concerned about folders syncing or changes made on the BB propagating to Outlook, nor the calendar. My priorities are:

1. A phone that is stable.

2. All incoming and outgoing emails must appear on the desktop Outlook.

3. If I have read the incoming email on my desktop Outlook, I do not need it to propagate to the BB. In other words, the BB does not need to mirror the desktop, just show me stuff I have not read when I go out. Is there an option to download only the unread messages?

4. If I am out of the office, I don't need push - I'm happy to manually check the mail. But new unread emails do need to appear both on the desktop Outlook and the BB. For emails received on the BB I should be able to reply from the BB to the actual original sender (not to me on my Outlook) and the message sent should appear on the desktop Outlook as a "Sent" message. Messages sent from the BB should have a "reply to" field designating my own domain (not matt@blackberry.com).

5. If I delete a message on the BB, it's not mandatory for it to be deleted in Outlook.

6. I need to access, read, edit, save and send Word attachments on the BB - and read PDF documents. Excel is not an issue. From what I've read, you MUST have BES to receive attachments, and third party software to edit them. Is this correct? Is there an alternative? Can the attachments be saved to card?

7. Can what I need be done without spending a fortune? It seems that BB services and software are quite expensive compared to the Treo plans and applications. Will I be forced to buy hosted BES (seems like $10/mo. is the best rate)? And eWord?

8. I currently use everyone.net for my IMAP server. Can I continue to use it with the BB as an alternative to hosted BES? It only costs $10 per 6 months.

When does the free consultation stop? ;-)

Thanks. I greatly appreciate your time.

Matt

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: Advice for Ex-Treo User?

Matt - you can accomplish all of the above with a bb...and use the personal BIS, rather than BES (considering you don't own an exchange server - altho hosted would be fine too)

1) already proven as a phone
    2) yes, they will appear in both places
    3) it will mirror it anyway...what ever you open on bb, will open on desktop (and depending on the email, will actually now reconcile both ways)
    4) yep...it comes to you on your bb, as if it is on your desktop. with removal of the 'sent from my bb' auto signature, most wouldn't even be able to tell you are on a bb
    5) it will anyway
    6) you don't have to be on BES to receive attachments. what i would suggest is 3rd party sw that will enhance your 'ms office suite' needs they are out there, moderately expensive, but well worth it, i think (check the bb shop here)
    7) what's a fortune? can you upgrade your treo to a bb and cover some of the cost that way? sell the treo maybe? as for sw, one time license isn't so bad - compared to pc software prices. you didn't note who your carrier was, so on top of voice charges, respectively of course, tmo is 19.99/mo and cingy is 29.99/mo
    8) not sure...im all over the BIS stuff, but don't know much about BES and imap and pop3 (foreign language to me )

good luck matt...if you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask

and welcome to pinstack

trigga15 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21655FFB

i suggest you throw that treo in the trash

wendycharles no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249F6ACE

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Matt, I was a treo user too. Being a realtor, I thought it was the best option BUT I was wrong. The os of the treo is a huge waste of time and money. Blackberry is very stable and will do everything that you need. What's more expensive a device that doesn't work properly or a devive that gets the job done?

Welcome Aboard!

Kilted Bradley no está en línea Stack level 3

TREO MAKE BRAD ANGRY!!! ARRGGGG!!!! BRAD SMAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!!!!
    That about wraps up my story with my RotI.P. Treo.

Get the BB, pay the "extra" a month, and sleep better at night.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

OMG ^^ that's hilarious!

[quote=cherrichiodo]6) you don't have to be on BES to receive attachments. what i would suggest is 3rd party sw that will enhance your 'ms office suite' needs they are out there, moderately expensive, but well worth it, i think (check the bb shop here)

Thanks cherri. Sounds great. Can you refer me to particular software? I checked the BBSoftware link (is that the BB Shop?) and was only confused. Not sure what "enhancements" I need/you recommend.

And thanks to all the others who suggested trashing, smashing or selling the Treo. Absolutely agree.

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re : Advice for Ex-Treo User?

BB shop is the link in the top bar, and a office program that has made is proof would be eoffice which is great, expensive, but worth it
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

Thanks, I see it now.

Does anyone know if a BB can retrieve emails from an IMAP host designed for Treos using ChatterMail, such as mail.emailtreo.net (a part of the everyone.net system)? Only ask because it's $.60/month and it interfaces between the PDA and desktop quite well.

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53

If it is IMAP4 it should work as long as they al0w remote access.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")