Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi All, I recently, like yesterday, became my company's BES Administrator. We are running Exchange ... Server Admins forum

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Question Address Book not syncing - Outlook/Exchange

Advertisement

Hi All,

I recently, like yesterday, became my company's BES Administrator. We are running Exchange 2003 with Outlook. After configuring the BES and setting up my phone without any problems, well, for the most part, I started on the 3rd one today. After wiping the handheld, setting his Exchange/Outlook account up, adding him to the BPS (Blackberry Professional Server) and the successful EA, I realized the sync did not pull down his contacts. Everything else was fine and his EA only took about 3 minutes as opposed to the other two phones I did numerous times which took up to 10 on the others.

After I removed all of the service books, did the EA again, still no luck with the contacts. I confirmed through the BPS that it is set to wirelessly sync the contacts and confirmed it is set that way on the phone as well. I also confirmed the IT policies do not prevent this. I did a wipe, removed the user from the BPS, re-added him, did the EA again and still no contacts being pulled down.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I attempted to send the service books numerous times and have looked on my phone and it has the same "Desktop" service books as his.

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

diabloboi87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31cdb8ca

Re: Address Book not syncing - Outlook/Exchange

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I've had this happen before on an ea activation and I've solved it by turning off wirless sync via the device saving, waiting about 30 seconds and then turning it back on. After that it started to pull the contacts from exchange.

PIN/ID
    Just Ask

I did that and even turned it off through the BES, tried to sync the contacts via the DM and it still wouldn't pull them back in. It gave the appearance that the sync was successful via the DM and would even prompt you to accept or cancel the additions or deletions it found through the DM sync yet when you remove the device from the PC, the address book did not upload anything.

kentrg no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    246FBBBA

and you removed the user from BES before second attempt?

this is common problem when the address book is too large not sure if thats the case

PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Yes, I removed him from the BES and re-added him more than once. The address book only has 106 contacts. He's a new user with the company so he hasn't had time to get that many.

kentrg no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    246FBBBA

try
    1. From the Home screen, select Options > Advance Options > Service Book.
    2. Select the Desktop [Sync] service book and from the menu, select Delete.
    3. From the menu, select Undelete to restore the Desktop [Sync] service book.
    also check

KB12422
    Last edited by kentrg; 02-27-2008 at 11:33 PM.

markgallant no está en línea Stack level 3

if you go in to the address book and hit the Menu key and go to options, then scroll to the bottom of the list and see if it lists a number of contacts. If it is listing the contacts and you still can't see them on the device, try going in to the Address Book and hitting menu and going to Filters and make sure neither of the filters are checked.

PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Thanks Kent, I'll try that...

Mark - it shows 0 there. Thanks for the suggestion though.

If the wired sync with Desktop Manager didn't bring over the contacts and neither did the reactivation then it may be an issue with the exchange mailbox. Also are the contacts in the main contacts directory on the exchange mailbox or do you have sub categories where they are stored.

PIN/ID
    Just Ask

I'll check the Exchange mailbox and make sure there isn't an exception on this one account for some reason.

The contacts are in the personal folder section, same as where mine are and where the other BB I setup had them stored and they synced just fine.

PwDiamond no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249df67d

Hi Kalbsdad,

Was this user on the BES prior to your initializing him, or is he a new user on the BES? If he's a new user, have you checked to see where he's storing his contacts in his actual Outlook? Sometimes users will set up multiple "Contacts" folders, not realizing that they're placing them inside a PST, which is of course outside the view of the director. I've had this happen a few times. A simple export/import will fix it.

Also, what's the behavior when adding a contact on the device? Does it reconcile back into the Outlook anywhere?

Lastly, are you doing OTA or activation by cable?

If this or the above stackers' answers/comments don't help, reply with a bit more information:

1.) What's your BES version?
    2.) What model is the device and what's the software version on the device?
    3.) Does the user belong to a "Priviledged group" (Built-ins in AD like Domain admins, Administrators, etc.)?
    4.) If this user was on the BES before, is he being reinitialized with a new device, or is it the same PIN?

Some other threads which you might find helpful:

Check out this thread: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ook_rules.html
    And this one as well: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...updateing.html

PIN/ID
    249df67d

Quote Originally Posted by markgallant View Post
    If the wired sync with Desktop Manager didn't bring over the contacts and neither did the reactivation then it may be an issue with the exchange mailbox. Also are the contacts in the main contacts directory on the exchange mailbox or do you have sub categories where they are stored.

Oops overlapped Gallant a bit, we must have been typing away at the same time... But as you see from both of our posts, people putting things into their PST folders (and especially when the users go crazy with rules in Outlook) are a headache.

If they are under a personal folder then they are not stored on the exchange mailbox and should not come accross during an Enterprise Activation unless they are being replicated to the personal folder by Outlook in which case they should be on the exchange side as well. Verify in your outlook whether the contacts show up under the Mailbox or on a personal folder on the PC.

PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Ok, that is probably going to be the issue. I know the contacts are still in the PST side of Outlook. So do an export to the Exchange "Mailbox" and then it should allow them to sync wirelessly?

PIN/ID
    249df67d

Yeah, export them (and the calendar and anything else that they want sync'd on their handheld that they've been placing in their PST folder) out of where they are, and import them into their "Mailbox - %username%" tree.

Be careful though to put them into the same folder when doing the import (Outlook prompts you whether or not you want to place them in the same folder or a sub-level), otherwise you'll have a mess, especially if you're doing it with Calendar items.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast