Any suggestions will be really appreciated. Both the user and IT is getting very frustrated ... Server Admins forum

dk
    dk no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Activation failed for a specific user

Advertisement

Any suggestions will be really appreciated. Both the user and IT is getting very frustrated over the long period of troubleshooting.

There is a new BB user that just could not get the activation to complete. It is 8707v, and all the other new users with the same type of handset is working fine. We have had more than 20 attempts over the last two weeks. 99% of the times the activation will just stay at 0% with all the "Initializing" status, although the email seems to start to work after one to two hours. The best that we can get to so far is 11% with the completion of "Calendar" initialization.

The IT guys have tried the following:

1. Both wired and wireless activation

2. Leaving the activation runs overnight (>10 hours) for many times but it just does not move further. The longest being 3 days.

3. Tried activation a different user (twice) with the same handset and SIM card and it works.

4. Get the service provider to check the SIM card. They even test the activation of the handset and SIM card with their BES and it works.

5. Wipe and reinitialize the handheld each time before retrying.

6. Unstalled BlackBerry Desktop before retrying wireless activation

7. Recreate the user profile and reinstall outlook on the user's PC

8. Run the handheld cleanup utility, as well as remove and add the user back to BES.

eatmypiano no está en línea BES Pro

Re: Activation failed for a specific user

Which BES version, which mail server and version and what's the PIN of the device?

dk

On the BES and Mail server, I do not have the information offhand, need to check with the admins of the coporate messaging team. For the PIN, i am not sure if the user like the idea of me revealing it on the web.

Despite the 0% activation, the mails seems to always start working after some time (1 to 3 hours) but the other component (tasks, memos, contacts) did not initialize. At that stage, I have tried sending PIN message to the device and it works. The corporate admins also notice that from the server side that the activations seems to have completed successfully with no pending messages.

eatmypiano no está en línea BES Pro

You can mail me the PIN. I need to know which version of BES and which mail server & version.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

One suggestion: how large is the user's Exchange account?

If it's substantially large (10's or 100's of MB) this could pose a problem.

I recently had to re-do my BES activation, as it kept freezing. The IT support noticed that my sent messages folder on the Exchange was ~ 30 MB. He said that would take hours to sync on the initial OTA activation. So we had to move those messages to another folder for the activation to complete in a resonanle amount of time. He also suggested that with HUGE Exchange accounts being sync'd on OTA activation, there is exponentially greater chance of errors or a total failure.

Because the default is to sync the main inbox and the sent messages, perhaps you could try removing all the messages from those two folders, then attempt another activation.

This may not be the solution, but it's worth a try at least.

dk

Thumbs up Re: Activation failed for a specific user

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Because the default is to sync the main inbox and the sent messages, perhaps you could try removing all the messages from those two folders, then attempt another activation.

This may not be the solution, but it's worth a try at least.
    Thanks, definitely worth trying. I am also suspecting it has something to do with the content of the user mail box.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

The best that we can get to so far is 11% with the completion of "Calendar" initialization.
    dk, Since it appears to stop during calendar sync, you might have the user check for invalid characters (Symbols) in the Event/appointment title, or for attachments in the note section of the event/appointment. This is known to cause problems in syncing using Desktop Manager on non-BES Devices. Might be the same cause.

Just a Thought.
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Its a very good thought, Rcb, let us know how it goes dk.

dk

Thank you all for the input. I will let you know the outcome by the end of this week.

dk

I was asked by a fellow forum members of the status of this. Wow ... it has been 7 months already. My colleague took over. The problem was not solved, the email start flowing and the user just accepted the condition. I need to check with the user again if anything has changed since then.

dlogsdon no está en línea BES Pro

Check the account in AD,
    Make sure that permissions are propagated to the users account.

Security|Advanced...| Checkbox to allow propagation.

-Drew

Hey dk,
    Any

Sorry too quick with the "enter"
    Any luck with this?
    I was thinking it could also be the version of BES you are running, if you have an older version the timezone updates won't work with BES.
    -Drew

azzouzi no está en línea Stack level 1

jjksldjdsds