Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hey all, i just got my self a new 8830 from bell mobility in canada. ... Server Admins forum

inc188 no está en línea Stack level 4

access

Advertisement

hey all,

i just got my self a new 8830 from bell mobility in canada. and before i got connected to my work email i downloaded the following on to my bb:

opera mini,
    google maps
    bb maps
    push services for weather in my city
    g mail app
    gmail messenger

after connecting to my work email NONE of these apps can access the internet. my bb wap browser disapeared and the only thing left and working is the BB Browser with a small globe + lock kind of icon.

i am really confused. i want to be able to use the GPS, maps, gmail and opera ... but none of them are working.

PLEASE HELP.

thanks,

VZDubtk no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: access

I believe it has something to do with your bes policy. That does not allow any 3rd party apps or anything for that matter access to the outside inernet just your companies intranet if they have it. Either way i would check what the it policy is on internet usage.

hope this helps
    I Unlock All Mobile Devices, questions just ask

kabirjohnson no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249e4ba5

Bad idea for putting your personal bb on a bes. You can remove the it policy but you won't be able to disable the firewall. I had the same problem not too long ago. Check other threads on how to remove the it policy off your bb. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    If I remove the policy will that allow the apps to work? I will still need my work email tho.

PIN/ID
    249e4ba5

Nope,the apps won't work, the email won't work. the it policy automatically enables the firewall. After you remove the it policy, your firewall remains enabled and there is no way to disable the firewall. Best thing to do, return the phone for an exchange and don't sync it with your work computer. Another way of getting your work email on your bb is to the auto fwd to the another email. If you need help with that just let me know. Kabirjohnson@yahoo.com. The it policy sucks. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

IndoorGK00 no está en línea Stack level 2

Well it would be a good thing to become GOOD friends with your BES administrator. The IT policy can be modified or possibly a custom policy made for you if the Company isn't super strict. I am on my companies BES and use ALL the apps you mentioned. But I am the BES admin and have made a custom IT policy for myself. Good luck and a case of your BES admin's favorite beer works wonders as well.....

PIN/ID
    249e4ba5

Lxpaz, Can you provide us with a copy of the custom it policy that you created? My old bb 7100i has it policy on it but its no longer on bes and I can't disable the firewall. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

The firewall doesnt need to be disabled. The HH firewall asks if you want to ALLOW THIS CONNECTION each and every time a new app tries to access the internet. My guess is your policy on the BES doesn't allow third party apps and has disabled messenger programs. You can't do anyhting yourself from the handheld. You need the BES admins help. Good Luck....

Things get ugly when an IT policy is still on a handheld that is no longer connected to BES. You may try going to the firewall and select RESET SETTINGS. It may help. If that doesnt help do a search on the stacks for removing IT policies from handhelds.

trinybwoy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240F8984

Is is possilbe to use wipe progam found on this site to compeltely wipe the handheld and re-install the OS?
    I cannot remeber the exact name of the program , but it may be the along the lines of 'clmder' or something, lol

tommybp no está en línea Stack level 2
    If you are connected to the BES server (which means that your company has control of what you can and can not do on your Blackberry) you might not be able to connect to those apps. You might contact your IT dept. to find out more info.

W!ndeX no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30194e35

inc188 How did you get your 8830 from Bell Mobility? I work for them and we start selling them tomorow!! Are out west?
    W!ndeX
    ASM for Bell Mobility
    Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
    8830 (Curve)
    Feel free to PIN 3026DC56

Here is what I am thinking. Now I am not very good with the it policy & BES stuff but if we can extract the policy from the bb & use the BES program ( I am not sure if there is such a thing lol) & may be modify the policy to allow 3rd party programs to work & not change any thing else in the policy. Would that work?

I am very confident we got some very smart people here tat can show me the way?

As for askin the it admin our corp is sooo big that I don't even know where our IT admins are located in the country let alone bribing them. Lol. Although that would have been an easier way of doing it.

W!ndeX - I got a special one sent to me by some good people who know some other good people.

The policy would have to be changed on your BES and then pushed to you BB. Sorry you can't work around your BES admin. HE should be the only one who has access to the BlackBerry Manager which is the app you administrate the BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES).

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Remember inc, modifiying security policies at most large companies (which it sounds like you work at) could be grounds for dismissal. If you are using a personal BB and don't need your work email, I would recommend you contact your local IT and ask them to remove you from the bes and remove the IT policy from your unit. If you have to use it for work, you may be completely out of luck.

Zo

So if I were to get a different bb & have it for personal use can I swicht back & forth with the same number on a bell network (which is cdma?) I know you can do that on a gsm network by just switching the sim card I don't know how it works on cdma.

Tnx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast