Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey all, I was wondering. Is there a way to retrieve pop3 mail from the ... Server Admins forum

expozure no está en línea Stack level 1

A way around data plans?

Advertisement

Hey all,

I was wondering. Is there a way to retrieve pop3 mail from the BB without using a carriers data plan? I'm with Rogers in Ontario and I'm looking at paying $25/mth for a 1mb data plan which is about 20 emails or less a day. Somone told me today that I could setup my own exchange server at home but he never really went into details. I also read about a service on Pinstack called themessagecenter . com. I read about hosted 1gb mailboxes. Can someone elaborate on this?

Jake
    Last edited by expozure; 10-14-2007 at 02:16 AM.

inc188 no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: A way around data plans?

this sounds good... i am interested in knowing if it is possible as well?

tai
    tai no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304E2757

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~There is no way to use the push service without a data plan. If that was possible we would all use it. I could be wrong but I'm sure it's not possible.

showtime no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

All data is routed thru the carriers switch. With out a data plan, the data code will be disabled with the exception for sms/mms. A BES is an extention to your office suites on your desktop and it still will have to get pushed through your carriers data switch before you receive it. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by showtime
    All data is routed thru the carriers switch. With out a data plan, the data code will be disabled with the exception for sms/mms. A BES is an extention to your office suites on your desktop and it still will have to get pushed through your carriers data switch before you receive it. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Ok,

So I reading this as that I HAVE to have a data plan is this correct? Also, what is the service offered at themessagecenter . com and do I have to have a data plan with this? My problem is I have one buisness mail account that I get forwarded to my home ISP account but I want to be able to receive/check messages while I'm away from my computer. I've read somewhere that if you have a Yahoo account there is some way to have messages pushed to your BB as well. Can someone elaborate on this if they know?

Thanks
    Jake

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Yes, you have to have a BlackBlerry data plan. You really need to understand that anything that is not either Voice (telephone calls) or SMS (text transmitted using the Carrier's cellular control channel is transmited as data. Using data requires a Data plan for most carriers and smartphones. BIS and BES both use the BlackBerry Data Network to push email. Using Data on the BlackBerry Data Network requieres a BlackBerry data plan.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Typhoid no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~yes you have your Hotmail and other email accounts pushed to your BB. That's one of the biggest features of a BB. You can intergrate upto 10 email accounts. You should have an icon on your desktop that says "e-mail setup". Just click that and follow instructions.very simple, only problem is that depending on how long you've had your account, it may not work unless you are paying for the email account(hotmail, yahoo).

galvatron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240582a8

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Heh I have 4 email accounts my yahoo hotmail gmail anb carrier blackberry.net account.althogh in thinking of removing my gemails cause all it dos is retrirect itsef back to sender.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ You need to log into the BIS website and set up a filter on your gmail account to keep it from sending u emails from the gmail account.

sTYZ no está en línea Stack level 2

if you just want to check them get the gmail app and have all the emails forwarded to the gmail account.

Does anyone have experience with the Yahoo mail on BB? I understand it pushes emaiils to the BB? What is involved with this? Obviously I need a mobile internet plan on my BB from Rogers, but what about the BIS account? Does it cost money? I'm just trying to get an idea of what this would cost. Paying $25/mth for a 1mb data plan is not cost effective for me.

Jake

drchavezgo no está en línea Stack level 1

I just want to simply say to each his/her own. But it kills me to pull up peoples accounts and see they have a Berry of any model and they have nothing added in their feature list. What's the point. Do you own a Berry cuz it's cute? Cuz it has a full keyboard? It's a phone first of course. But it's primary function after that is email and internet. Without either of these it's just plain silly. But whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by drchavezgo
    I just want to simply say to each his/her own. But it kills me to pull up peoples accounts and see they have a Berry of any model and they have nothing added in their feature list. What's the point. Do you own a Berry cuz it's cute? Cuz it has a full keyboard? It's a phone first of course. But it's primary function after that is email and internet. Without either of these it's just plain silly. But whatever.

Ummm.....I'm not sure what to say to this other than I own a blackberry for business purposes. I'm just looking for an inexpensive way to check my businesses email from the BB. I can forward my emails that come through my domain to Yahoo. So I'm askng these questions to find out whats involved in getting Yahoo mail on my BB.

justajason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242C7F74

I would think that adding the account to your BIS, or BES account should do it.. If your looking for a workaround for a data plan, I don't think your going to get one...
    I did read in another forum, that you canforeward your email, to your MMS account.
    Ugh, couldnt think of anything to change it to.

jeremyblaze no está en línea Stack level 2

You could try to fwd your emails to your generic phone SMS email address. (phone#@carrier.net etc). If you filter your emails sent to that address, you will get only the emails you want, and it would only be a txt charge. If you happen to have unlimited SMS, thenyou should be set. 25/month for 1GB data would suck. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast