I recently was forced, due to downsizing, to take over Blackberry admin support with about ... Server Admins forum

hughcornwell no está en línea Stack level 1

8700g fails enterprise activation at 98%

Advertisement

I recently was forced, due to downsizing, to take over Blackberry admin support with about a half day of handover. Now I'm the Blueberry expert! .
    One of the immediate problems I'm having is getting a 8700g to fully Enterprise activate. It kinda of just stops at 98% and shows that the address book is initializing. Any ideas or quick fixes? We're running BES 4.0 on Exchange 5.5.

BryanSE79 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

Re: 8700g fails enterprise activation at 98%

Depending on the address book size, this could take quite a while. I have had activations take upwards of hours just because of the address book. Sit tight, and let it finish.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

You can retry. If doing it OTA try doing it via USB on the BES server.

It may be an issue with an entry in the address book. You can avoid by using the Blackberry desktop manager to backup your Blackberry. Then delete all adress book contacts. That may fix it it's a unique contact originating from your BB.

Also make sure you are running the latest OS issued by your carrier.

What version of BES are you on?

Welcome to pinstack!

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSE79
    Depending on the address book size, this could take quite a while. I have had activations take upwards of hours just because of the address book. Sit tight, and let it finish.
    very good point! This may be the exact issue. I'd wait at least an hour as Bryan suggested before taking any of the other steps I mentioned.

HotWax no está en línea BES Pro

It could also be a radio problem, I've had to replace a New 8700c that took a while to activate, once activated the calendar and address book sync took forever(this was a rare case). Try the OS reload first though.

Thanks All! Hydn's suggestion To use the Desktop Manager backup worked for me.

PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Good to hear! Glad it worked.

slantz no está en línea Stack level 1

I have seen it take a while for activation from large call logs and address books. But I have had a lot of problems with the 8700's out of the box hanging at 90% activation. The response from support was to wipe the handheld and try again and then it does always go through. So now I start by wiping the 8700's then activating.

PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

Quote Originally Posted by slantz
    I have seen it take a while for activation from large call logs and address books. But I have had a lot of problems with the 8700's out of the box hanging at 90% activation. The response from support was to wipe the handheld and try again and then it does always go through. So now I start by wiping the 8700's then activating.
    This is not even specific to the 870X models. It happens with plenty others as well, in my experience.

Ook
    Ook no está en línea Stack level 2

I sometimes disable and then re-enable the Wireless antenna whenever it halts and that usually also gets it going again. You can easily do this by holding down the ALT key while pressing the cancel key (on the side). This allows you to switch back to the homescreen without closing/cancelling the Enterprise Activation so you can disable-enable the antenna. Then do the same to return to the EA screen again and usually you'll see that it instantly picks up where it left off.

For me they sometimes hang at "Activating..." once I type the e-mail address and EA pass, but the above method usually does the trick.

HotWax no está en línea BES Pro

From Blackberry technical Support.

Known Issues - Enterprise activation stops responding at 90%

Last Updated: 27 June 2006

Article Number: KB-04740

Summary

This article applies to the following:
    • BlackBerry® 7100 Series
    • BlackBerry 7290 Wireless Handheld™
    • BlackBerry 8700 Series of wireless handhelds
    • BlackBerry Device Software 4.1
    • BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.0
    • SDR75573
    Problem

During the initial enterprise activation, the process stops at 90%.
    Additionally, the Microsoft® Windows® Event Viewer application logs on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server show the following events:
    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: DevMgmtConnector
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 20035
    Date: 30/11/2005
    Time: 4:35:09 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: COMPUTERNAME

Description:

{Last_name, First_name} Add request received, but did not save record to SyncDeviceMgmt table due to invalid data. Target=Handheld Agent, CmdID=-43931.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: DevMgmtConnector
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 20032
    Date: 30/11/2005
    Time: 4:35:09 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: COMPUTERNAME

Description:

{Last_name, First_name} CreateXMLToWriteToDatabase - Zero timestamp value is invalid for Add request. Target=Handheld Agent, TableID=3, UID=1132429852, CmdID=-43931.

Workaround 1

Install BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.0 Service Pack 4 (4.0.4) to resolve this issue.

Workaround 2

Wipe the BlackBerry wireless device, then restart the enterprise activation.
    Warning: Wiping your device will erase all the data on the device. Save any personal data using the Backup and Restore tool in BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    To wipe the BlackBerry device
    1. From the Home screen, click Options. Note: Depending on the theme running on your device, you may need to click Settings, then Options.
    2. Click Security Options.
    3. Click General Settings.
    4. Click the trackwheel and click Wipe Handheld.
    5. Click Continue.
    6. Type blackberry.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I will pursue upgrading the BES to sp 4.