Hello Everyone, Can someone tell me what the term "world edition" means? Is the 8820 ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

wendycharles no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249F6ACE

World Edition?

Advertisement

Hello Everyone,

Can someone tell me what the term "world edition" means? Is the 8820 a "world edition" blackberry?
    Wendy
    Iphone...what else would a MAC user have.....

jonbost no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23FA03C0

Re: World Edition?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ world edition is for the gsm/cdma hybrid phones. The 8820 will not be a world edition because it is a gsm only phone. Not to say the 8820 will never go to a cdma company just not for awhile. Hope this helps.

PIN/ID
    249F6ACE

Quote Originally Posted by jonbost
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ world edition is for the gsm/cdma hybrid phones. The 8820 will not be a world edition because it is a gsm only phone. Not to say the 8820 will never go to a cdma company just not for awhile. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the response. Do you know what makes the "world edition" different than the 8800/8820? (besides the carrier) I know that the 8830 has spell check and the 8800 does not have it.
    Wendy

- tom - no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK

I believe world edition came from the provider that uses CDMA network, such as Verizon. Since this kinda network only can roam in US, Verizon called 8820 world edition because it uses CDMA and GSM network altogether. Thus, it has simcard inside the unit.

If you use the GSM version of Blackberry (ATT, TMo), it's actually already a world phone.

Guys, please correct me if I'm wrong....
    -t o m-
    *PearlLover, CurveAbuser*
    :D

PIN/ID
    249F6ACE

Quote Originally Posted by - tom -
    I believe world edition came from the provider that uses CDMA network, such as Verizon. Since this kinda network only can roam in US, Verizon called 8820 world edition because it uses CDMA and GSM network altogether. Thus, it has simcard inside the unit.

If you use the GSM version of Blackberry (ATT, TMo), it's actually already a world phone.

Guys, please correct me if I'm wrong....
    Thanks Tom! That makes sense......
    Wendy

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

There's a difference between being a World Phone and a World Edition BB.
    All the current GSM BB's are World Phone's in that they'll connect to most any GSM network around, but will not connect to a CDMA based network due to the lack of the appropriate radio. The name is somewhat misleading, which should become clear once you know what a World Edition BB is.

World Edition BB's have both CDMA & GSM radio hardware in them, and (provided the correct roaming plans are in place) should work in both GSM only locations like Europe, and CDMA only locations like Japan and South Korea. Currently the 8830 from Verizon and Sprint are the only US carrier devices that are world Editions. Verizon did a deal with Vodaphone, who provide the SIM cards the Verizon 8830's are locked to. Not sure who Sprint did their deal with for their 8830.

The 8707 is also a World Edition, although I don't know if the versions sold in Europe are. The ones you can get in Hong Kong and Japan are, and bear the World Edition Logo. The Japanese and Hong Kong devices have GSM hardware in them, so when you roam to a GSM area you can still get service, albeit with some fairly high roaming charges. However, they don't connect to the Verizon or Sprint networks here via CDMA. Not sure why that is, exactly.

The Japanese models are locked to the NTT/DoCoMo SIM, while the Hong Kong devices from Hutchson Telecom will accept just about any SIM.

As for the 8830, Verizon has told us it should work in Japan, although they weren't able to confirm coverage in South Korea yet.

The CDMA hardware still sucks power like a thirsty elephant though, so battery life on the 8830's and 8707's is measurably shortert than on the 8800 and 8700, respectively.

Still not sure why the 8830's got Spell Check first, or why that hasn't been added to an 8800 firmware update yet though.

Oh, and I have to know all that for work, just in case anyone thinks I looked it up for fun.
    Last edited by BBWrangler; 07-23-2007 at 07:28 PM.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.

PIN/ID
    ASK

Quote Originally Posted by BBWrangler
    There's a difference between being a World Phone and a World Edition BB.
    All the current GSM BB's are World Phone's in that they'll connect to most any GSM network around, but will not connect to a CDMA based network due to the lack of the appropriate radio. The name is somewhat misleading, which should become clear once you know what a World Edition BB is.
    Yup, some people mixed up the term world phone and world edition BB
    -t o m-
    *PearlLover, CurveAbuser*
    :D

PIN/ID
    ASK

Smile Re: World Edition?

Quote Originally Posted by wendycharles
    Thanks Tom! That makes sense......
    My pleasure Wendy.....
    -t o m-