Hi: Intro: New poster to Pinstack, but have lurked here before. Came here at the ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

bbflak no está en línea Stack level 1

Work vs. Personal phones: seeking solution to combining 2 phones on 2 networks

Advertisement

Hi:

Intro:
    New poster to Pinstack, but have lurked here before. Came here at the recommendation of a friend at one of the service providers when I asked him about some solutions to my problem:

Background:
    I carry an 8830 on the Sprint network for work. Work uses BES. Like all of you, I LOVE my 8830 and use it constantly. To keep my personal life separate, I also carry a Verizon Samsung SCH-u740 with my personal number for my personal/fun phone - it does what I need it to do.

Situation:
    Now, my work (which has paid for my BB service up to this point) has requested that I pay for my BB service and get reimbursed for the work portion, and I pay for the personal portion, if any - a new company policy. So, today I spent several hours of brain damage analyzing Sprint plans to determine how I could 1) get the best value for the work portion for reimbursement, and minimize my personal cost if I kept the Verizon, or 2) bring my Verizon number to Sprint and dump the Samsung for an 8130.

Problem:
    Well (sorry for the long story), my friend suggested that I could keep the 8830 and somehow format it (sorry for the correct tech term) to work on the Verizon network OR somehow format it to carry both my work and personal number and not carry the other phone.

Question:
    What options do you suggest to continue to use my 8830 with our BES and keep my personal number too? I'm extremely pleased with the Sprint speed, and have been impressed with the 8830 as a wireless modem. However, I'm not partial to any network; and don't really care to have two phones on two networks. Also, I don't relish losing my Samsung's camera, however (that's why I considered adding the 8130).

Anyway, my friend thought you folks would be able to provide some help and advice - any would be greatly appreciated!

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Re: Work vs. Personal phones: seeking solution to combining 2 phones on 2 networks

Quote Originally Posted by bbflak View Post
    Hi:

Intro:
    New poster to Pinstack, but have lurked here before. Came here at the recommendation of a friend at one of the service providers when I asked him about some solutions to my problem:

Background:
    I carry an 8830 on the Sprint network for work. Work uses BES. Like all of you, I LOVE my 8830 and use it constantly. To keep my personal life separate, I also carry a Verizon Samsung SCH-u740 with my personal number for my personal/fun phone - it does what I need it to do.
    This is a policy change that is sweeping through a lot of companies due to change in corp. tax law. To make a very long story short, the bottom line is to use your work phone for work only. That way there is no question in terms of charges on that phone. It will make it a lot easier for you, especially in the event you are audited.

Then maintain a personal phone for yourself. There is no perfect solution and I know you do not want to carry two phones, but believe me you will much better off if you do. Then there is no way for your employer, or the IRS, to easily challenge your usage if you have two seperate phones, and use them accordingly.

There is only one phone that I'm aware of which accepts two sim cards, so that two numbers can be managed with one phone. It's a new phone in the UK, sorry I have forgotten the name and did not capture the link, however it really doesn't matter anyway because it was simply a plain cell phone.

I have friends that are up against this same situation and some of them have given the work phone back to their employer, to avoid such hassels, questions, and issues surrounding usage. However not everyone has that ability as they _must_ carry a BB for work. So in that case they also carry their own personal BB or other phone.

Cheers.