Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

maybe, i don't fully understand what WI-FI is but, isn''t it wireless internet that you ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

xcrskim no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32B6C256

Wi-Fi : what's so good about it ?

Advertisement

maybe, i don't fully understand what WI-FI is but, isn''t it wireless internet that you can only use where WI-FI is available ? so.. i.e. you can't use it in the car because WI-FI is not available.

...so why are people beasting over it ? shouldn't it be a bad thing because you can only use the internet in certain places ?

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

Re: Wi-Fi : what's so good about it ?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I agree. Don't see the big deal, maybe it will be in the future.

mi0j no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

Are you kidding? Not only is it faster web access in areas with wifi available, but with the right application, one could use the blackberry for VOIP, paired with an unlimited data plan, you're looking at unlimited calls without using your minutes. The possibilities are endless.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

nikosia no está en línea Stack level 3

So if that is the case would VZW actually allow such a devise with wifi wiothout crippling it somehow?

oxide-tones no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2058FAF3

the majority of us already have it, at home and/or at work, or a "roaming" contract for hot spots. Therefore we would like to use it instéad of paying for data plans when a connection is already available to us...

aussienick no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I agree with the other posts. I'd much prefer to use wifi than pay huge amounts to cell carriers, especially becuase my carrier doesn't have 3G in my area.

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Best reason I can give is to take an eye on the data plan price in Canada
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

I would find it very useful to me. I do not have EDGE access at my home (but have a wireless network) and could now use my BB for web access when I need it. Much easier when you need to look quickly for something, rather than waiting the 5 minutes for my laptop to boot up.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

First, I suspect you will never be able to use a BlackBerry without a provider Data Plan. And you probably wouldn't want to. The idea of a BlackBerry is that it ALWAYS works - just about no matter where you are in most parts of the WORLD! Who would want a BB that only worked when you could find a Hot Spot???!!!

Second, almost all Data Plans are unlimited - or ridiculously close to the limited price that's it's almost not worth getting the limited plan, so it's no skin off the provider's back if you use WiFi for a data connection - in fact since you've already paid for the service and not using it, you're actually helping them by lowering the traffic using WiFi for data.

Third, WiFi will continue to be several times faster - even at its slowest speeds - than cellular for some time to come.

The only downside for providers is if you have WiFi access so much that you can reduce your minutes package, but many providers package minutes with the data plan, so again you'll pay for the service anyway.

In short, I don't think providers - even those like Verizon who is notorious for disabling functions and charging to turn them on - will be foolish enough to disable or charge for a feature as valuable as WiFi is to both them and the user.
    JerryD

Einherjer no está en línea Stack level 5

Totally agree with "First, I suspect you will never be able to use a BlackBerry without a provider Data Plan. And you probably wouldn't want to. The idea of a BlackBerry is that it ALWAYS works - just about no matter where you are in most parts of the WORLD! Who would want a BB that only worked when you could find a Hot Spot???!!!"

I shun wifi completly, without BBs would be cheaper. Same for GPS. Those who really need a GPS for navigation will get a much better featured one in their car.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

personaly i dont see the big deal about wifi i had the hardest time setting up my nintendo DS at home and with work and my even busy life who has time to go find a hotspot and use it i will stick to sprints fast CDMA network and yea canada data prices are sky high so anybody there are a exception

privax no está en línea Stack level 3

At this point in my life I would actually prefer a camera and GPS over WiFi if I had to make a choice for two out of three, but I mean devices are already out there offering all three.. so it almost seems only fair for BlackBerry to finally come out with a device that offers all three.

privax no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    personaly i dont see the big deal about wifi i had the hardest time setting up my nintendo DS at home and with work and my even busy life who has time to go find a hotspot and use it i will stick to sprints fast CDMA network and yea canada data prices are sky high so anybody there are a exception

setting up wifi on the nintendo ds is just about the easiest thing to do, and as far as finding hot spots.. it's not so hard.. just about every starbucks and barnes and noble offer wifi.

husnain1 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

places like L.A. are thinking of having free wifi access to the whole city so you never know whats possible

poopc4 no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    My college is buil like a prison and most no classrooms have a cell signal. But the whole campus has wifi. So then I could use my BB on campus for me wifi is a must die my next device. Among with flash capabilities and steaming media.
    I will settle for no less.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast