I'm still pretty new but I couldn't find an answer to why I should update ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

philipeichor no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    just ask

why should i update my os?

Advertisement

I'm still pretty new but I couldn't find an answer to why I should update the os on my 8800. I looked on the phone and it is 4.2.1.72. The new version is 4.2.1.139 on the at&T web site. If I'm still happy with how the phone operates should I leave well enough alone? This is my first bb so I'm not sure what an update might do. Will I loose 3rd party apps? Will I loose the ton of cool stuff I've found on pinstack? If updating will make my bb even more fun I'm all for it , but I'm not having any problems like I said, so any and all advise would help. thanks

exciter no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: why should i update my os?

Quote Originally Posted by philipeichor
    I'm still pretty new but I couldn't find an answer to why I should update the os on my 8800. I looked on the phone and it is 4.2.1.72. The new version is 4.2.1.139 on the at&T web site. If I'm still happy with how the phone operates should I leave well enough alone? This is my first bb so I'm not sure what an update might do. Will I loose 3rd party apps? Will I loose the ton of cool stuff I've found on pinstack? If updating will make my bb even more fun I'm all for it , but I'm not having any problems like I said, so any and all advise would help. thanks
    Until there is a major update, I would just leave it alone. If you do upgrade, all your stuff should be fine.

rw5579 no está en línea Stack level 3

most carriers when trouble shooting will first check to se if you have the current os in place. many time before qualfying for a warranty exchange they will try to insist that you try upgrading the os first

in a nutshell... its recommended to do it now, proactively, than have to do it last minute

plus in many cases the os upgrades fix bugs and small glitches in the software (many of which go unnoticed by the average user)

do the os upgrade, you'll be happy you did (unless its the tmo .103 upgrade... lmao)

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

you can leave the os that you're running currently, but there are usually some fixes or updates that will enhance your experience with your device. but it's totally up to you

philipeichor no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    just ask

thanks alot. while i was looking around i found an update for my dm ,same advice?

gkg3059 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    204bd5f7

Its also fun to update your device. And you don't loose all your data. There are plenty of threads here that tell you step by step how to back up and the whole update procedure. You should be fine.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

well once you connect your device to the desktop manager then click on backup/restore. and restore your device, when loading new thew software open application loader load the new software and they give you the option for a backup/restore as well, and when you choose that option after loading the latest os it will restore your device

GetURWingz no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    PlzAskMe

I updated the OS on my 7130c and after that I couldn't hardly hear with my bluetooth headset. It got so bad it forced me to get a 8310 which I love. I hear they are coming out with a new OS for the Curve that will let you record video. I would like to try that out but I am once bitten twice shy on the OS change.

jsntrenkler no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32C5835C

I have upgraded my 8830's OS Twice, each time there has been noticeable improvements. I am just hoping that OS 4.3 comes out soon. It looks so much nice on the new 8130's ... I am jealous.