Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

nikosia - I do not see VZW converting to GSM. If that was a consideratioin ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

  1. #16
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996

    Re: Why does VZW cripple BB so much?

    Advertisement



    nikosia -
    I do not see VZW converting to GSM. If that was a consideratioin they would have done it long ago. Times change & things change. Ex: T-Mobile "used to have poor coverage" now they have nearly as wide of coverage area as the No.1, Cingular. At the rate T-Mobile is improving overall they culd very well catch or pass Cingular/at&t.

    I use Cingular because they have the best coverage in my area, however if it was T-mobile with the coverage in my area I would be happy to move to T- Mobile.

    Based on my experience the only two companies worth signing contracts with are those two.

    The rest of the world is on GSM and there's no going back to obsolete CDMA/TDMA.

    The myriad of complaints posted here complaining about Cingulars Cust Service are largely sour grapes bashing because it's a big company & these same posters are bashers anyway.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

  2. #17
    TheBigNewt's Avatar
    TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    402

    Re: Why does VZW cripple BB so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by IronHorse
    How is it not unlimited?
    VZN imposes an additional fee to use your phone as a modem. The "unlimited" data fee you pay ($40) to use your BB does not include using it as a modem. If they detect you tethering it as a modem (and they can!) they will shut off your data service until you pay them another $40/month (I think). Just their little way of thanking you for your business.
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.

  3. #18
    takeshi's Avatar
    takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,305

    Re: Why does VZW cripple BB so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by archer6
    It's hard to say why VZW does disable phones the way they do.

    I think the best approach is to not wonder why, but choose the more progressive GSM carriers T-Mobile or Cingular/at&t who employ GSM tecnology like the rest of the world.
    I definitely agree. Why wonder about decisions Verizon makes about crippling phones when you could be supporting another carrier that doesn't disable your GPS because they want to ensure that all their users pay them (regardless of whether or not they can provide VZ Navigator for all devices)?

    Other carriers are known for crippling devices as well but VZW is notorious for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by archer6
    The myriad of complaints posted here complaining about Cingulars Cust Service are largely sour grapes bashing because it's a big company & these same posters are bashers anyway.
    I'm afraid you're wrong there. Granted, even my experiences are only anecdotal but 80% of our deployed Blackberries are TMO. Depsite that, we waste significantly more time supporting the Cingular devices due to provisioning issues and/or incompetent CSR's. I could care less how big or small any of our carriers are. I just want capable representatives and I don't want random changes on our lines. I've personally spent way too much time proving to Cingular's techs why various issues are their fault despite their repeated attempts to pawn off issues that they should be tracking down (which have always turned out to be issues on their side in the end). Sorry, try again... I guess YMMV but I have noticed a distinct difference in the quality of CS between the two companies at both consumer and corporate support levels over years of experience with the two carriers.

    Regardless, I select my carrier for personal use based on coverage first. So, reluctantly, I'm using Cingular on my personal lines.

  4. #19
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996

    Re: Why does VZW cripple BB so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    I'm afraid you're wrong there. Granted, even my experiences are only anecdotal but 80% of our deployed Blackberries are TMO. Depsite that, we waste significantly more time supporting the Cingular devices due to provisioning issues and/or incompetent CSR's. I could care less how big or small any of our carriers are. I just want capable representatives and I don't want random changes on our lines. I've personally spent way too much time proving to Cingular's techs why various issues are their fault despite their repeated attempts to pawn off issues that they should be tracking down (which have always turned out to be issues on their side in the end). Sorry, try again... I guess YMMV but I have noticed a distinct difference in the quality of CS between the two companies at both consumer and corporate support levels over years of experience with the two carriers.

    Regardless, I select my carrier for personal use based on coverage first. So, reluctantly, I'm using Cingular on my personal lines.
    Point well taken, like you I completely agree that capable representatives are essential.

    While overall my experience has mostly been with Cingular, I have either had good "luck of the draw" with whom I'm dealing with, or less serious issues. And while it has not be often, I have had that same experience as you, where they are quick to point the finger, instead of taking responsibility.

    In fact if T-Mobile had the coverage in my area that Cingular does, I would enjoy giving them a try as other users I know seem to prefer that Carrier.

    Thanks for your report and feedback. It's a perfect example of how much value is contained within this forum and users like you that are very knowledgeable.

    Cheers...


  5. #20
    bricoleur's Avatar
    bricoleur no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    PIN/ID
    23E6F2B5
    Posts
    30
    Vxw is in the market of making money if the allowed BB to roam free like evey other company they would not be able to charge such high prices for there services

  6. #21
    kane's Avatar
    kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    PIN/ID
    30349623
    Posts
    849

    Re: Why does VZW cripple BB so much?

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~your best bet is to go to sprint I had a T-Mobile phone and couldn't use it unless I was driving no service in my house or any one else house? Not to mention droped calls I called customer service and they couldn't do any thing I jumped ship within my 14 days and stayed with sprint who has the best internet service of any carrier I no fees I have had cable and DSL and got rid of both because of the high speeds I get with sprint not to mention I use roughly 5000 min a month and spend $120 and when the hybrid phones come out the game really going to be over

  7. #22
    joe allen's Avatar
    joe allen no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    PIN/ID
    32b09853
    Posts
    182

    Re: Why does VZW cripple BB so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
    VZN imposes an additional fee to use your phone as a modem. The "unlimited" data fee you pay ($40) to use your BB does not include using it as a modem. If they detect you tethering it as a modem (and they can!) they will shut off your data service until you pay them another $40/month (I think). Just their little way of thanking you for your business.
    we pay verizon $15 dollars a month extra per account for tethering.
    Joe - 8703
    "Blackberryland is a much happier place than Palmville"

  8. #23
    HeywoodJ's Avatar
    HeywoodJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    PIN/ID
    pm me
    Posts
    280

    Re: Why does VZW cripple BB so much?

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~VZW
    Don't care about individules
    They are after large corp,government accounts and cater to those large groups that
    Are the major contributers to their bottom line.and as such
    You are nothing to them. if you leave. so what another person will replace you as quick as you can blink, but rember omiting facts is the same as outright
    Lying .and they will decieve you
    To get you as a customer as they
    Did me and now I have three vzw
    Hand sets that are as worthless as the customer service they offer, and because they pissed me Off I have also switched from
    Direct tv(wich they own) to dish network and saved twenty bucks a month. any one who is useing D tv should look to dish network
    To further boycot the offending
    Companys.
    Thanks for the oppertunity to trash vzw as they ripped me off
    Several hunred bucks a few years ago and I like to spread the love. Heywood J

  9. #24
    Unreal Image's Avatar
    Unreal Image no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    PIN/ID
    23dcbb02
    Posts
    3

    Re: Why does VZW cripple BB so much?

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~VZW thought is the all mighty green. They criple any phone they can get there hands on. I went to t-mobile for the data exchange. They have the least restrictions when it comes to that. The bad thing is that there service is a little shakey in certin areas.

  10. #25
    galvatron's Avatar
    galvatron no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    PIN/ID
    240582a8
    Posts
    167

    Re: Why does VZW cripple BB so much?

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~yeah one a vorizon 8700 you can't download themes were as with tmo you can. The only reson my friends keep getting sucked in is basicly this speal "but all my frineds are on vorizen so tit free to call them".. As soon as altel an tmo caught on th this tatic you will se them drop customers. They still think vorizens chaeper. There loss.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •