Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just wondering why does VZW cripple their phones so much? Why would they disable GPS ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

nikosia no está en línea Stack level 3

Why does VZW cripple BB so much?

Advertisement

Just wondering why does VZW cripple their phones so much? Why would they disable GPS on the 8703e and force me to spend approximately $100 for a "puck" when it technically already has enabled GPS in the unit?

I am struggling to understand the rationale and have yet to hear a good explanation as to why.

Can someone please provide me with some insight?

Thanks

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Re: Why does VZW cripple BB so much?

Verizon... that says it all. That's why I switched to T-Mobile.

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Verizon doesn't discriminate against Blackberries, they seemingly cripple all their phones. My buddy has an LG that plays MP3s from a 1 gig SD card so well you'd almost think it was a boombox. You'd think that with a gig of MP3s you could use them for ringtones. Nope, Verizon crippled the phone so he has to download rintones that he already has on the phone from Verizon's service for a fee.

I understand the ringtone rationale from the perspective of selling there vcast service, however, they dont have the VZ nav application available for the BB..so why criple the GPS?

I'm still shaking my head..i hope someone can provide insight

k2daizzer no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~any company as big as verizon will do whatever it takes to make a quick buck. On a lighter note there are ways around the entire ringtones for a fee thing on a lot of the newer phones with mp3 and picture capability. If anyone is interested just pm me and I will show you how. Hope what I just said isn't against any rules if it is I apologize in advance

Yellowfin no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    317F3C36

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ other than the GPS, Verizon doesn't do as much to hinder BB's nearly as much as the other phones, if at all really. They pretty much ignore BB's entirely.

agreed but again..what is the reason for disabling the GPS when there is no VZW GPS service they can make money from on the BB?

does anyone know?

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

8 Hours Ago, 10:29 PM agreed but again..what is the reason for disabling the GPS when there is no VZW GPS service they can make money from on the BB?
    does anyone know?

It's hard to say why VZW does disable phones the way they do.

I think the best approach is to not wonder why, but choose the more progressive GSM carriers T-Mobile or Cingular/at&t who employ GSM tecnology like the rest of the world.

The non GSM carriers days are numbered. It's old tech will be useless as the US catches up to the rest of the world.

~via BB 7130c (wap.pinstack.com)~

archer i think you might be on to something there...any chance that VZW would be capable of switching to a GSM platform?

This site is so valuable...had I been a stacker and had this valuable resource of information, I would never have stayed with VZW. Perhaps...TMO is better nowadays coverage wise. I had them a few years ago but coverage was horrible. However, when I went overseas my phone still worked. Oh...well...it me costly for me but I might have to switch carriers...or wait out my contract and switch to a GSM carrier if VZW does change their technology.

McQueen no está en línea Stack level 2

At least the 8800 for Verizon will be GPS enabled

joe allen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32b09853

Quote Originally Posted by McQueen
    At least the 8800 for Verizon will be GPS enabled
    are you sure? i bet they disable it
    Joe - 8703
    "Blackberryland is a much happier place than Palmville"

afterburner no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

Don't forget that VZW doesn't have TRUE unlimited internet access when using BlackBerry as "Phone as Modem" or PAM for short. Why did they say Unlimited when it really is not??

IronHorse no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32B3213C

Quote Originally Posted by afterburner
    Don't forget that VZW doesn't have TRUE unlimited internet access when using BlackBerry as "Phone as Modem" or PAM for short. Why did they say Unlimited when it really is not??
    How is it not unlimited?

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3

VZW sells GPS service for $7/day on most of their phones, so don't count on getting it for free on any phone (8700 included). It doesn't matter what phone it is they will disable most of the features. That includes BT transfers of files, using your own RTs installed on your memory card, GPS, using 3rd party games and apps. I'm much happier with Tmobile and the Pearl than I was with VZN and the Moto v710.
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.

trinybwoy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240F8984

Quote Originally Posted by IronHorse
    How is it not unlimited?
    some carriers impose a cap on their "unlimited" data plans...i remeber that Rogers cell company from canada had a 30mb cap on thier unlimited data plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast