Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I just read this on another Consumer blog... Sounds very feasible and being an AT&T ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

robertmrome no está en línea Stack level 3

Is AT&T Crippling The Blackberry So It Doesn't Make The iPhone Look Bad?

Advertisement

I just read this on another Consumer blog...
    Sounds very feasible and being an AT&T subscriber annoyed!

I've read previously that the new BB's wont have both WiFi and GPS but didn't know the reason...

-----------------------------------------------

Over at Blackberry Cool they're claiming that an AT&T insider told them AT&T had bullied RIM into crippling the Blackberry's GPS features so it wouldn't make the iPhone look bad in comparison.
    Is this true? We do not know. The post claims an "inside source."
    From Blackberry Cool:

We've just received word from one of our friends inside AT&T that the US carrier has been successful in their attempts to lockdown the GPS functionality in their upcoming BlackBerry 8820 so that the only functioning 3rd party software will be TeleNav. First, this is a major piss off to AT&T customers looking to get their hands on the BlackBerry 8820 mid-September, but what's more important is why AT&T chose to do this. Apparently - and remember, this is coming from someone inside AT&T - the carrier didn't want to launch a device that would seem superior (or be competitive) to the iPhone. Sounds a little crazy, until you realize that a GPS/Wi-Fi'd device with push email and no funny-texting touch screen that's subsidized in price sounds a bit more appealing than a $500 device that enterprise customers can't use.
    We have literally no idea if this is true or not, but if it does turn out to be true, the T-Mobile Blackberry will be a bit cooler than the AT&T one. MacNN points out that the media-rich iPhone isn't really meant to compete with the Blackberry:
    ...the move would be unusual for the carrier as it typically encourages the adoption of BlackBerry phones for business customers and only sees a small amount of income from TeleNav's service, which is available at $6 per month for GPS use during ten trips and $10 for unlimited trips. The 8820 includes no camera and is generally considered at odds with Apple's phone, which focuses largely on media playback and other personal uses.
    Seems like a dumb move to us and an unconsumer-friendly move at that. If it's true. And we're not saying that it is. Just to make that abundantly clear.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: Is AT&T Crippling The Blackberry So It Doesn't Make The iPhone Look Bad?

If they are, then they are doing the same thing that Verizon is known for doing.

joek71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    319CCF42

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~time to jumpt to sprint, curve is on the way for sprint and so pearl

deepdish no está en línea Stack level 6

Wow. This is crazy, but from the stories I've heard about verizon and att I believe it. Glad I have neither of them.

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F

The blackberry won't make the iphone look bad... The iphone does that by itself with its price...

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Quote Originally Posted by joewoo
    The blackberry won't make the iphone look bad... The iphone does that by itself with its price...
    The iphone also does that by itself by just being....an iphone
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

CBR900RR no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: For those who've been waiting EXCLUSIVE: AT&T neuters the BlackBerry 8820 in favor of

the carrier didn’t want to launch a device that would seem superior (or be competitive) to the iPhone
    The iphone did actually makes the 8820 looks better. On top of that, if AT&T cripped the GPS function and tmobile start carrying the 8820 with all the design feature enable, guess where customer is heading to.
    Last edited by CBR900RR; 08-18-2007 at 01:32 AM.
    .T...Mobile. BIS BB 8310
    OS v4.5.0.81 (108) PL 2.7.0.78
    DM v4.2.2.14 SP2

jeffpettis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me!

Re: For those who've been waiting EXCLUSIVE: AT&T neuters the BlackBerry 8820 in favor of

The iphone does that by sending bills in a box!

galvatron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240582a8

Quote Originally Posted by CBR900RR
    The iphone did actually makes the 8820 looks better. On top of that, if AT&T cripped the GPS function and tmobile start carrying the 8820 with all the design feature enable, guess where customer is heading to.
    i think orange has has the same os im bettg all att did was hid trn in ther carrier them. they did the same with the 8800. so ge heornageosran runiton tmo lsoateng blackbrry.alxan unlkg othercarriers themes should enable gps an bbmaps

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by galvatron
    i think orange has has the same os im bettg all att did was hid trn in ther carrier them. they did the same with the 8800. so ge heornageosran runiton tmo lsoateng blackbrry.alxan unlkg othercarriers themes should enable gps an bbmaps
    What??

jchapman01 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24a51ff4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~from what I read it seems that att didn't turn off gps... Just made it to only work with telenav gps navigation. You can get gps if you use telenav. I already use telenav... So I don't have much of a problem.

Oh yeah.... Obligatory iphone suxx comment.

trickynick no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20D2CA11

wow just wow.

green no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~hey galvatron, what? Is that clingon speak? Pm ani I'm sure after he reads your post he will let you download instaspell.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Let's be nice people.

kjbmax77 no está en línea Stack level 3

AT&T never marketed the iphone as a business device, it was all the hype from business customers that made it seem like it would be, ATT knew from day 1 it was going to be a consumer device.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12