Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First, this is a major piss off to AT&T customers looking to get their hands ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

PIN/ID

For those who've been waiting EXCLUSIVE: AT&T neuters the BlackBerry 8820 in favor of

Advertisement

First, this is a major piss off to AT&T customers looking to get their hands on the BlackBerry 8820 mid-September, but what’s more important is why AT&T chose to do this. Apparently - and remember, this is coming from someone inside AT&T - the carrier didn’t want to launch a device that would seem superior (or be competitive) to the iPhone. Sounds a little crazy, until you realize that a GPS/Wi-Fi’d device with push email and no funny-texting touch screen that’s subsidized in price sounds a bit more appealing than a $500 device that enterprise customers can’t use.
    From http://blackberrycool.com/2007/08/16/005386/

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

Re: No soup (8820) for you

Painful! The word "neuter", hereafter to be referred to as the "N" word, should never be used so insensitively as in the ad in the link.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Re: No soup (8820) for you

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBerry8800
    The head hanchos decided to can the 8820 fearing that it might cripple the iPhone sales. That sucks http://blackberrycool.com/2007/08/16/005386/
    They didn't can it, just crippled the GPS. I think RIM should tell AT&T to stick up their *** and boycott them, then see how it affects their customer base, and income.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

hanstoppable no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: For those who've been waiting EXCLUSIVE: AT&T neuters the BlackBerry 8820 in favo

Wow. I always thought the 8820 was a superior device (in most ways) to the iPhone, but I didn't think Apple would think so, too. This is a huge bummer. No way I'm paying for TeleNav. Can't switch to T-Mo because coverage is poo near me. On the plus side, I can quit dreaming of the 8820 and just pull the trigger on the 8800 now. Sigh.

PIN/ID

Re: For those who've been waiting EXCLUSIVE: AT&T neuters the BlackBerry 8820 in favor of

it won't be long before a hack enables the GPS functionality again. The phone contains the GPS chip so the disabling is software and not hardware based.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: For those who've been waiting EXCLUSIVE: AT&T neuters the BlackBerry 8820 in favor of

handstoppable ^^ i feel your pain

tmo service is horrible here too

i on the other hand will keep my curve and continue to use telenav and my gps puck...

ps...i really hate all things iphone

hanstoppable no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: For those who've been waiting EXCLUSIVE: AT&T neuters the BlackBerry 8820 in favo

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBerry8800
    it won't be long before a hack enables the GPS functionality again. The phone contains the GPS chip so the disabling is software and not hardware based.
    I hope you're right. Maybe I'll hold out hope for the hackers to break this (as they have broken nearly every other stupid DRM/carrier/CSS/user-hating B.S.). Just means now I have to wait a few weeks past the already far-away (and still rumored) launch date to see if anyone fixes this GPS mess before I buy.

I wonder if this discussion between RIM and ATT is what delayed the launch date from BGR's August 14/15 date. I know those were rumors, but it is interesting.

VZDubtk no está en línea Stack level 5

Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo
    handstoppable ^^ i feel your pain

tmo service is horrible here too

i on the other hand will keep my curve and continue to use telenav and my gps puck...

ps...i really hate all things iphone
    I second that notion Cherri

As for this thread I have not heard anything about them canning the 8820 as far as I know its still agreen light...Every regions vp decides whihc phones he wants the stores to sell that are available at warehouse for distribution. hence why the east coast got the moto L6 and L2 and why the west coast got the moto L7 because it was far better than those two versions. Might want to check out your credible source...It varys per region
    I Unlock All Mobile Devices, questions just ask

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

Very interesting. Never was fond of the 8800 series though---no camera.

I am also not a fan of Telenav...I would much rather pay a one time price for a GPS "puck" than continuously pay for a service.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

angiesbiz no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    25E0711A

Well, I am surely going to keep my cool 8800.

Blackberry079 no está en línea Stack level 3

I just read this disturbing matter looks like Papabear isn't so grand after all. AT&T is really stupid to do this really they are!! But seriously the only thing the iPhone does is iCandy and that's it. It basically does what a BB does but the BB does it much better in my opinion howerver. I love apple computers but after the iphone is released i wasn't on it's jock anymore.

Beside the 8820 has something better that the iPhone doesn't have GPS and AT&T shouldn't be such pricks to RIM and RIM should pull all their products from AT&T. It'll show them who really brings the money to them. Oh an for the record the 8820 for T-mobile will be much better than AT&T

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry079
    .. But seriously the only thing the iPhone does is iCandy and that's it. It basically does what a BB does but the BB does it much better in my opinion ...
    The iPhone doesn't do very much, not anything like the BB. For one, it doesn't have push email, only "push" email (and that is how it is advertised in the manual - it uses IMAP idle). Even Apple said the iPhone isn't a business device so I don't understand AT&T with this. They are different types of customers
    Last edited by cliffr39; 08-16-2007 at 10:38 PM.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

jeffpettis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me!

iphone=

mbwilson no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20DCCB16

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Does anyone know if this is a similar practice in other countries? I just wonder if this only happens in the States. Can someone on an non US provider chime in on this topic?

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3

Ok, so what good is the 8820 now? Does not the 8800 have the same features? The consumer gets it again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast