Hi everyone I'm new here Just got 8800 2 weeks back, with T-Mobile The problem ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

LindainLA no está en línea Stack level 1

Voice dialing on 8800

Advertisement

Hi everyone
    I'm new here
    Just got 8800 2 weeks back, with T-Mobile
    The problem is don't know how to let the voice dialing to work with my European accent, lol
    Everytime I say, call ...., I get names way far from what I asked !
    any solution?

raphaelsamad no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Voice dialing on 8800

I live in England and speak with a mild Scottish accent. To say that voice dialing is way off for me too would be to severely understate the problem. It currently gets nowhere near.
    Does it work for anyone in USA? and is there any way to improve it for those of us whose American accent should not be performed for anyone within earshot.

kentrg no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    246FBBBA

Never works for me. but i have somewhat of a russian accent

tessitori no está en línea Stack level 3

This is so funny! I have an Italian accent and it works for me! I would suggest that you listen to how the system repeats back the name to you and you adopt that pronunciation. I have a friend by the name of Gautier which in french is said more like goatier but when I do a voice call I have to say GA U TIER. You can also set the phone up for different languages so I think voice activated dialing might work better in the native language, who knows?

PDXOR no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I'm a native of the Pacific NW in the US where we supposedly have "no" accent (yeah, I know it's all relative). Nevertheless, voice dialing has definitely been the weak point of my 8800. There are other pinstack threads that discuss the problem.

One thing I found that helps a little is to set up separate phone book entries for each of the people I tend to voice dial frequntly. Instead of using their full names, I enter only their first name. Using that short name with the voice dialing seems to work more often.

Another approach is to say the phone number instead of the name. The software is much better at recognizing numbers than names. Of course, you have to know the number to use this method.

One last tip that applies when using my Jawbone headset: unlike my old Motorola that required me to practically yell in order to voice dial, the Jawbone/BB8800 combo works best when I say the name or number in a normal, conversational volume.

Sorry that I don't have better advice. At least the 8800 is a great devive otherwise!

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

Since I'm originally from Maine and am often accused of having a Candian accent, perhaps that's why I don't have a problem with it! = ) This is the 8830 and thus does have a slightly different OS, not sure if that's a difference.

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A

I'm American but I've lived in Australia for the last 6 years, my "watered down" accent still seems confused the Voice Dialing as well. I think PDXOR has the right idea with making seperate phonebook entries for the "frequently voice-dialed." Don't feel bad anyone, my wife's name is Clodagh (pronouned Clo- Dah) and a friend named Olga. The phone seems to think that I'd be much better off speaking to my friend Olga than my wife..... Probably one for RIM to refine. Maybe set it up to "learn" how we pronounce things? I know that voice recognition software on some computers does that.

D'oh!! I meant "seems to confuse the voice dialing.."
    Last edited by ted; 06-06-2007 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Automerged.
    I have two very rare photographs. One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car........

PDXOR no está en línea Stack level 2
    It would be nice if we could select specific contacts with a "permit voice dialing" flag or something similar.

The program is frustratingly slow, and seems to be taking time to analyze all 2000 of my contacts while trying to find something as simple as "home". I suspect the process would be quicker if it only had to search through the dozen or so contact that I actually voice dial.

But I'm no engineer, so maybe that's unrealistic?

lineus no está en línea Stack level 2

For me the main problem is not my strong accent (Pearl still can recognize names) but how that mechanical voice pronounces foreign names from my address book.. i cant understand any single name=( I wish RIM has just plain voice tags added by user to each name or command... in that case phone would also play tags in your headset (BT or regular) so you know who is calling without taking phone out of holster...
    BB Pearl+1GbMicroSD+PalmLD+4GbSD+BT Holux GPS