I've moved from a Treo 700p and am having a horrible time with the transition. ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

swanky no está en línea Stack level 1

View all sms messages, threaded?

Advertisement

I've moved from a Treo 700p and am having a horrible time with the transition. While email and contacts are very good I'm finding that almost everything else is a real challenge, unavailable or not intuitive. One area is SMS - There is no SMS box that contains all your sms text messages that I could see. Is there a way to view them? Now I know it keeps them because someone sent me an sms (that I missed yet again) and when I saw it in the general mailbox, I saw the thread of prior messages. But how do I just open the "sms mailbox" to view all of them - some come from phones that I don't have in my contacts database so those chains will be lost to me. Anyone?

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: View all sms messages, threaded?

You should be able to choose to separate SMS from email under Messages->Options.

Alt-S will also filter Messages to display only SMS messages.

I'd recommend reading your Getting Started Guide, BlackberryFAQ.com and Stinsonddog's (BlackberryForums.com) tips sheets.
    Last edited by takeshi; 06-24-2007 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    You should be able to choose to separate SMS from email under Messages->Options.

Alt-S will also filter Messages to display only SMS messages.

I'd recommend reading your Getting Started Guide, BlackberryFAQ.com and Stinsonddog's (BlackberryForums.com) tips sheets.
    Thanks but this isn't what I mean. If you go to messages, you get a whole dump of stuff in there but only some sms messages are visible. The BB holds onto them and stores them in some folder which is not accessible quickly and you can see inbox, outbox, etc. I get there by hitting a contact that texted me and then choose "view folder" using the menu button. However, I can't access this folder as if it was a folder holding all my sms messages. I also can't see the sms messages i sent using your method and all the outstanding threads.

I'll say this much - what I've learned about the BB is that it's an insane amount of reading, memorizing, navigation just to perform anything other than email read/reply and contacts/date management. You can read those tips but all this comes from practice in knowing how the BB OS works outside of the things it does well. I'm hoping someone will create applications that will deal with the serious shortcomings of the BB to simply handle things well like text messaging, applications/navigation, etc. Thanks for your reply.

guido.rosso no está en línea Stack level 1

All your SMS should be included in the messages area along with all your emails.

If you want them seperate (like Takeshi suggested), you can go under you Options (in the messages area hit your menu button and click on Options > General Options) and at the very bottom you'll see "SMS and Email Inboxes" and you can change that setting to Seperate. Now you'll have two seperate icons on your home screen: one for Emails and one for SMS.

Thanks but unfortunately this is not what I'm looking for - it appears the BB just doesn't handle SMS very well. On the Treo and many other phones you can see all your SMS messages, threaded, and for more than just the period of time that you can see your emails. On most phones you'll see the following:

Joe Smith 123-4567 "Hi there, you are..."
    Jane Doe 975-5685 "Thanks for everything..."
    Richard Roe 987-6544 "What is going on?"

You can see all your SMS messages without a filter. Clicking any one of them will show you the entire thread. You can also see in, out and drafts. Not easy with the BB and you cannot individually access the folders even though you can see the structure from the menu.

Thanks for your help but it appears that BB needs to have better dedicated BB functionality or hopefully a third party app that will handle it.

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB

You can indeed see threaded SMS. If you go to the Options icon, scroll down to SMS Text and click that, at the bottom is "Number of Previous Items". Change the number there to a high number and your SMS messages will be threaded.

Or, at least that's what I consider to be threaded. Let us know if that wasn't what you meant... again.

BrianFeinzimer no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

he means its threaded by the person, i just made the switch from the 700p to a 8830, yea its a bitch but im dealing with it, and its not that bad

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB

It is threaded by the person. Well, it is for me, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianFeinzimer
    he means its threaded by the person, i just made the switch from the 700p to a 8830, yea its a bitch but im dealing with it, and its not that bad
    I said the same thing at first... ok, here is my wish list and it's pretty substantive. Unfortunately I'm finding that I can't get rid of my Treo/PDA and that the BB is still very far away and only great for reading/writing emails, which it does best (as calendar appointments) but that's about it. The first two relate to what I was asking for, the others areas you'll realize are really tough.

1. Disappearing Phone List with Limited Sort Options. The sms issue is the same one as the phone list. On the treo you can see the last calls for the past 6 months. Never lose, misplace or not have a phone number available to you.

2. No SMS Threaded Global View. The threading I am talking about is your folder of only SMS messages - that too can go on for the past 6 months where you'll see a list of everyone who has messaged you, either by time, alphabetical order, etc. You'll see any messages you may have missed because those threads are bold. Sort it any way you like. No such luck on the BB. For a BB, hunt and try find your contact if you even know the number they used (sometimes you dont) and then see if there is an sms thread.

3. No Alerts???: BB's don't seem to have nag/alerts. I must be missing something because this has to be in here, maybe turned off by default. Treo's have a dialog box that pops up with upcoming appointments, sms messages that you have received, etc. You never miss an appointment. On my BB I am missing them like crazy. I don't hear that stupid chime that goes off in the busy city and I am not reminded of my appointments when I look at my phone. The only alerts software I found was 3P and doesn't work.

4. No Ring/Vibrate Mode: This one was mind boggling. It can vibrate or ring but not both. If I choose vibrate then the ring is too short. If I choose ring I may not hear it in the street and lose the call. Treo has them simultaneous and the ringer is much, much louder than the 8830.

5. No Doc Reader: The SD Card is worthless except if you want to play MP3s and watch wmv files. Can't even view any native documents for word, excel, powerpoint, or even simple text. Shame...

6. Navigation/UI for Apps: Scroll, hunt, scroll...

7. Endless key shortcuts that are not included in the menus: Great stuff for email (double space bar function, etc.) but they couldn't put all these hotkeys in the dropdown menus next to the menu items?

What I've come to recognize is that the BlackBerry is not a storage device - all ephemeral. It is GREAT for read/reply Email and calendar, get in get it out and gone. Everything else is half baked and is a struggle when you've had a PDA.

bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17

1. Disappearing Phone List with Limited Sort Options. The sms issue is the same one as the phone list. On the treo you can see the last calls for the past 6 months. Never lose, misplace or not have a phone number available to you.

GO TO YOUR MESSAGE MENU AND SELECT VIEW FOLDER. YOU CAN SEE ALL OF THE CALLS MADE FOREVER UNTIL YOU CLEAR THEM OUT. ITS RIGHT THERE!!

2. No SMS Threaded Global View. The threading I am talking about is your folder of only SMS messages - that too can go on for the past 6 months where you'll see a list of everyone who has messaged you, either by time, alphabetical order, etc. You'll see any messages you may have missed because those threads are bold. Sort it any way you like. No such luck on the BB. For a BB, hunt and try find your contact if you even know the number they used (sometimes you dont) and then see if there is an sms thread.

IN OUR OPTIONS TELL IT TO SAVE THE SMS MESSAGES ON YOUR SIM AND THEN CHOOSE THE FOLDER AND YOU CAN STORE THEM TO YOUR HEARTS DESIRE

3. No Alerts???: BB's don't seem to have nag/alerts. I must be missing something because this has to be in here, maybe turned off by default. Treo's have a dialog box that pops up with upcoming appointments, sms messages that you have received, etc. You never miss an appointment. On my BB I am missing them like crazy. I don't hear that stupid chime that goes off in the busy city and I am not reminded of my appointments when I look at my phone. The only alerts software I found was 3P and doesn't work.

ALL THIS IS HANDLED IN PROFILES. ALERTS..TONES..VIB...ETC..!!!

4. No Ring/Vibrate Mode: This one was mind boggling. It can vibrate or ring but not both. If I choose vibrate then the ring is too short. If I choose ring I may not hear it in the street and lose the call. Treo has them simultaneous and the ringer is much, much louder than the 8830.

YOU CAN CHOOSE TONE & VIBRATE IN THE PROFILES. HAVE YOU GONE THRU THE PROFILES EDIT SCREENS. YOU CAN DO ALL OF WHAT YOURE SAYING!! TO MAKE LOUDER..YOU CAN USE AN EDITING PACKAGE ON YOUR PC FOR WAVE AND MP3 FILES...THEN BOOST THE VOLUME TO YOUR HEARTS CONTENT AND PLACE IT BACK ON THE SD CARD AND CHOOSE IT IN THE PROFILE MANAGER

5. No Doc Reader: The SD Card is worthless except if you want to play MP3s and watch wmv files. Can't even view any native documents for word, excel, powerpoint, or even simple text. Shame...

YOU CAN VIEW WORD AND EXCEL AND PDF FILE ATTACHMENTS IN YOUR EMAIL BY SELECTING IT IN THE MAIL. AND YOU CAN PURCHASE SOFTWARE FOR THE PHONE THAT WILL LET YOU EDIT THE DOCS TOO ON HANDANGO.COM

6. Navigation/UI for Apps: Scroll, hunt, scroll...

7. Endless key shortcuts that are not included in the menus: Great stuff for email (double space bar function, etc.) but they couldn't put all these hotkeys in the dropdown menus next to the menu items?

NOPE. LOL

What I've come to recognize is that the BlackBerry is not a storage device - all ephemeral. It is GREAT for read/reply Email and calendar, get in get it out and gone. Everything else is half baked and is a struggle when you've had a PDA.

ITS A BLACKBERRY!! IT IS AN EMAIL DEVICE. KEEP IN MIND THOUHG..DOESNT HAVE THE LOCKUP PROBLEMS THAT WINDOWS MOBILE IS KNOWN FOR. NOR DOES IT HAVE THE MEMORY ISSUES

Lawrence... THANKS SO MUCH for taking time!! I will have to try some of these. However, not all is bliss just yet and I'll explain...

Quote Originally Posted by bglawrence

GO TO YOUR MESSAGE MENU AND SELECT VIEW FOLDER. YOU CAN SEE ALL OF THE CALLS MADE FOREVER UNTIL YOU CLEAR THEM OUT. ITS RIGHT THERE!!
    I have an 8830 and this doesn't work. I see lots of folders such as Phone Call Logs but when I select them I get bumped into the main messages menu. Perhaps this is because the phone is CDMA? SIM card problem? Either way, this is far from convenient!!!

IN OUR OPTIONS TELL IT TO SAVE THE SMS MESSAGES ON YOUR SIM AND THEN CHOOSE THE FOLDER AND YOU CAN STORE THEM TO YOUR HEARTS DESIRE
    I have an 8830 and this doesn't work either. Same problem. Where's the elegance, lol?

ALL THIS IS HANDLED IN PROFILES. ALERTS..TONES..VIB...ETC..!!!
    No it isn't. It only allows you to choose what tones you want, the volume and number of times it will ring/vibrate. On Treos and PDAs you'll get repeat nag screens as many as you want. They will come up right on top of the screen blocking everything forcing you to know about the meeting, you choose snooze, etc. No such beast on the BB and apparently there is an application that only works on non-88xx BBs.

YOU CAN CHOOSE TONE & VIBRATE IN THE PROFILES. HAVE YOU GONE THRU THE PROFILES EDIT SCREENS. YOU CAN DO ALL OF WHAT YOURE SAYING!! TO MAKE LOUDER..YOU CAN USE AN EDITING PACKAGE ON YOUR PC FOR WAVE AND MP3 FILES...THEN BOOST THE VOLUME TO YOUR HEARTS CONTENT AND PLACE IT BACK ON THE SD CARD AND CHOOSE IT IN THE PROFILE MANAGER
    Again, not on the 8830. I am not the only one who thinks the ring at loudest is definitely not loud! The problem is that the profiles only allow vibrate first and then ring not vibrate and ring at the same time. The ringtone -- perhaps I can boost the volume artificially but I think it will distort. I'm using the exact same ringtones I had on my Treo just transferred over!!!!

YOU CAN VIEW WORD AND EXCEL AND PDF FILE ATTACHMENTS IN YOUR EMAIL BY SELECTING IT IN THE MAIL. AND YOU CAN PURCHASE SOFTWARE FOR THE PHONE THAT WILL LET YOU EDIT THE DOCS TOO ON HANDANGO.COM
    No can do. If you have a folder of 20 documents, you're going to email them all to yourself? I always drag and drop and have all my docs available, e.g. 400 docs and contracts all on my card that I have access to no matter where I travel. In addition, the software you mention (a) costs over $100 just for word and excel and $200 for the office package not including addons!!! (b) doesn't work natively as I discovered, amongst other issues with it. Fortunately Documents to go is coming. On the Blackberry platform everything is server based too -- services for document readers. Not fun!!! PDFs and Powerpoints are typically not readible from email because the conversion results in graphics too small and blurred when enlarged. Need native doc reader!!! Come on DataViz!!!! Bring it to BlackBerry soon!!!!

ITS A BLACKBERRY!! IT IS AN EMAIL DEVICE. KEEP IN MIND THOUHG..DOESNT HAVE THE LOCKUP PROBLEMS THAT WINDOWS MOBILE IS KNOWN FOR. NOR DOES IT HAVE THE MEMORY ISSUES
    My PDA didn't lock up much but you do have a point here. No question the BB is more stable as a whole and I really like that part a lot. It does a GREAT job of email read/write and calendar. We just have to kick them in the butt to do the rest. I'll see if swiping another SIM might do the trick on what you mentioned.... thanks!!!!
    Last edited by swanky; 06-27-2007 at 09:06 PM.

emtffd71 no está en línea Stack level 1

treaded smstext

It seems to me that it is hard to find a program that someone can download to have threaded sms text for there blackberry like it would be on the treo. Im a new user to the blackberry curve and im not shur im going to keep it. Out of all the features that the treo offers I like the treaded sms text the best. If any know of this feature offerd for the curve please let us X treo users know.

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    Take a look at this thread for Threaded SMS for the BB
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=78074