Will it be possible, given Sprint's policy of leaving the GSM component of phone unlocked, ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

Fentonp no está en línea Stack level 1

Verizon/Sprint CDMA GSM 8830's

Advertisement

Will it be possible, given Sprint's policy of leaving the GSM component of phone unlocked, or if one were to unlock the Verizon 8830, to operate the phone with two phone numbers/carriers in the US?

For example, could I open an account with Verizon with the 8830 but keep my T-Mobile and pop the SIM card in and essentially have two phones in one???

cypher no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    876-5309

Re: Verizon/Sprint CDMA GSM 8830's

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com) it will be locked to the european gsm network only.the gsm antenna will not pick up any us carriers towers. Same deal with the samsung 730 and the 830.

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Anyway, it can't work on 2 technology at the same time only one, and it would always work on CDMA when network is available

BTW Welcome to the stacks
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

GSM-900 uses the 890 - 915 MHz frequency spectrum for uplink, the 935 - 960 MHz spectrum for downlink and generally is used in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and most of Asia.

GSM-1800 uses the 1710 - 1785 MHz frequency spectrum for uplink, the 1805 - 1880 spectrum for downlink and generally is used in Hong Kong and the UK.

GSM-850 uses the 824 MHz frequency spectrum for uplink, the 869 - 894 MHz spectrum for downlink and is generally used in the U.S., Canada, and elsewhere in the Americas.

GSM-1900 is used

GSM-1900 uses the 1850 - 1910 MHz frequency spectrum for uplink, the 1930 - 1990 MHz spectrum for downlink and is generally used in the U.S., Canada, and elsewhere in the Americas.

GSM-400 is rarely used.

The higher the frequency, the shorter the distance from the tower that your phone will cease to operate. So providers who use GSM-850 need to install fewer towers to get equivalent coverage of CDMA.

Here' an example intended to stray from the continual "which carrier is best" question. It also strays from GSM into CDMA but for this example that is appropriate. Verizon uses a higher frequency spectrum for its EVDO high-speed data network vs the lower spctrum for its 1xRTT low-speed data network. If you go too far from a tower you reach the edge of the higher frequency range and you can no longer communicate with the tower but the lower frequency still can and so you drop back to 1xRTT speeds.

Peace.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Hi Fentonp, welcome to pinstack. I dont know much about GSM, being an iDEN or CDMA employee and never had a GSM phone, but I do know that US GSM is different than GSM in other countries, cuz both Sprint and Nextel GSM phones wont work in the US.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

The subsidy lock is irrelevant. The 8830 doesn't support US GSM frequencies at all. The answer is no.

Unlocking the 8830 is pointless except if you want to use another carrier while overseas. However, that's not a good idea as it's impossible to get BB data on a prepaid SIM with very few exceptions. On top of that, even if you could find a carrier that offered BB data on prepaid, if you're a BIS user you'd have to kill your BIS account in the US and set up the BIS account with the foreign carrier every time you left the US (and reverse the process every time you came back).
    Last edited by takeshi; 05-27-2007 at 04:02 PM.

homer2568 no está en línea Stack level 1

or just get the global BB service :-)

bukzin no está en línea Stack level 2

or just get the global BB service :-)[/quote]

Would that be with my home carrier (ATT, soon to be Verizon)

or would that be gotten via a non-US SIM card/service?

Thanks,

jsntrenkler no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32C5835C

With Verizon you can get the global service and your emails will follow you over seas, the only drawback with it is the high cost of using the included verizon/vodafone sim. It's very expensive compared to a pre-paid sim that you can purchase once you get to your destination. However, using your BIS won't work unless you find a prepaid carrier that supports BIS, in which case you will have to set up a new BIS. For simplicity sake, it is easier to use the global plan from Verizon, but costs a bunch more.