Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

http://www2.marketwatch.com/palm/mar...D6FEADB4FBD%7D That's the link verizon announced today that they are going to allow thrid party ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

pmazaran no está en línea Stack level 1

verizon news out today unlocking features and allowing third party apps

Advertisement

http://www2.marketwatch.com/palm/mar...D6FEADB4FBD%7D

That's the link verizon announced today that they are going to allow thrid party apps to be used beggining end of 2008. That means that we will be able to use the gps feature with other programs other than VZ Nsvigator. Read it let me know what you guys have to say. Speak up and your voice will be heard. Here's a perfect example

Spamdumpster no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    2423c9c5

Re: verizon news out today unlocking features and allowing third party apps

I'm not sure the this means that the GPS will be unlocked.

I understand about the gps but they are going to unlock the phones to be able to use third party apps. I spoke to a executive at verizon and he told me that the gps is only blocked because it was not safe on the blackberry and it will be open as soon as they fix what ever is wrong. So this article only makes me think that they will have it done by then that's all

pcwizpcwiz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32ae40a5

I don't get this article at all: Verizon Wireless will become the first mobile-phone company in the U.S. to let customers use phones and software not offered by the company itself. How are they the first company? You can use almost any GSM phone on almost any GSM Service that's the way it has always been. This sounds like VZW SPIN "
    The result: customers can only buy devices that the carriers offer and they have to pick from a limited number of software applications for reading email, conducting Internet searches or storing contact lists." With VZW you were limited to Brew Apps so they could make extra $$ with Cingular you could download java apps from tons of places.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Their official news release: http://news.vzw.com/news/2007/11/pr2007-11-27.html

Verizon Wireless today announced that it will provide customers the option to use, on its nationwide wireless network, wireless devices, software and applications not offered by the company. Verizon Wireless plans to have this new choice available to customers throughout the country by the end of 2008....
    Anything not offered from them.. the GPS is offered so don't think it will fall under this
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by pcwizpcwiz View Post
    I don't get this article at all: Verizon Wireless will become the first mobile-phone company in the U.S. to let customers use phones and software not offered by the company itself. How are they the first company? You can use almost any GSM phone on almost any GSM Service that's the way it has always been. This sounds like VZW SPIN "..
    Also Sprint recently announced they would allow unlocked CDMA phones on their network I thought.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Very true I agree

Quote Originally Posted by cliffr39 View Post
    Their official news release: http://news.vzw.com/news/2007/11/pr2007-11-27.html

Anything not offered from them.. the GPS is offered so don't think it will fall under this

The gps is a service. Not offered by them could mean a free gps software that does not work now on the network and so on. I mean this could be huge if they really do what they are saying. Verizon offers VZ Navigator now and that's it. Google maps don't work etc. All of these apps could work if they lifted the block and allowed us to use third party apps which they are saying they will

europamo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31A51117

All this is a ploy to get more customers. Being able to use other phones and apps. That doesnt really mean they will start unlocking stuff they sell. It just means if you have unlocked stuff that works, you can use it, but ot get the great customer service care they give you on their devices. Its basically the same thing GSM carriers do.

justajason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242C7F74

Great customer care?~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

But both Verizon and Sprint will still control what devices go on their networks. My guess is that they will continue to use the network security issue as their crutch.

I cannot figure out what was so wrong with GPS on the 8830. It is on the 8800 and works really well. Nothing about safety concerns from ATT or T-Mo.

jabbawabba no está en línea Stack level 3

Safety concerns is an excuse. How can GPS possibly pose a security threat?

europamo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31A51117

Quote Originally Posted by justajason View Post
    Great customer care?~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    their words not mine

They cripple anything that works to their advantage of making a profit.

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by pmazaran View Post
    The gps is a service. Not offered by them could mean a free gps software that does not work now on the network and so on. I mean this could be huge if they really do what they are saying. Verizon offers VZ Navigator now and that's it. Google maps don't work etc. All of these apps could work if they lifted the block and allowed us to use third party apps which they are saying they will
    yeah just like the other person stated, I believe all this article means is that Verizon will allow more customers to join "The Network" by bringing other devices they wish to use... but don't see them opening the window from things like GPS for example since they do that purposely to control revenue. Phones don't make a difference if you are bringing the phone to have service with them. Just don't see them saying ok we don't care about the possible $120 a year we could get from Verizon Navigator and will let you use free stuff... but more phones means more money.

nateshiner no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~so u could use a sprint 8830 on verizon in order to get gps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast