Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

On its way to me, the 8830 should be here tomorrow morning...... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

ofelas no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Verizon CDMA+GSM BlackBerry 8830 - Full Specs

Advertisement

On its way to me, the 8830 should be here tomorrow morning...

jaydabee no está en línea Stack level 3

I hope it never gets a camara, glad RIM decided to go business use on this one. Business people don't need that, they need GPS. It pisses me off when I see cow-orkers with PDA phones with GPS. When is Verizon going get off it's butt and enable the GPS on these things.
    Watch what you say,
    they'll be calling you
    a Radical, a Liberal,
    Fanatical, a Criminal . . .

ofelas no está en línea Stack level 3

When researching it, I found that Rogers charges $10 a month for GPS on their GSM 8800...lol...maybe VZW will take an unneeded cue & charge us monthly to use GPS as well...

chewybrain no está en línea Stack level 1

Mine has BBMaps on it but when I go into options and go to GPS Source it says "None" and that is the only option. When I talked to my Verizon rep she said they would eventually provide turn-by-turn GPS but apparently not yet. :/

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

Here's some real photos shared by Nate.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/natrix/...7600226467338/

BrianKe11y no está en línea Stack level 1

Verizon rep she said they would eventually provide turn-by-turn GPS
    Verizon has crippled the advertised GPS in its 8830. GPS is currently only available for 911 calling, and will not work for BlackBerry maps or Google maps.

Firefishe no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

How about a piece of software called "GPS MONITOR," available from Verizon's download site.

I just got off the phone with tech support, and was told that to use the built-in gps, I needed to go to Options-Advanced Options-GPS, change the "GPS Services" section from 911 Only" to "Location On" and that would enable it.

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

They're suppose to release VZ Navigator for the 8830 sometime in the fall to use with the GPS

PIN/ID
    woodi68

I thought I saw somewhere that the media player was the same on this 8830 as on the new 8300 coming out. Anyone know anything about that? Full screen video? I think that was the major difference between the "older" version and the 8300 version.

kdav78 no está en línea Stack level 1

Has anyone use the 8830 as dun modem? Do we have to subscribe to additional plan other then unlimited bb plan. I currently have Samsung i730 and thinking about changing to bb 8830.

PIN/ID
    woodi68

From what I've read around here (in the BlueTooth Connectivity forum) it's not possible yet. At least that's my understanding.

kdav78 no está en línea Stack level 1

How about via usb? Would be need to get the tether plan or would unlimited bb data plan cover it?

jabbawabba no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Firefishe

How about a piece of software called "GPS MONITOR," available from Verizon's download site.

I just got off the phone with tech support, and was told that to use the built-in gps, I needed to go to Options-Advanced Options-GPS, change the "GPS Services" section from 911 Only" to "Location On" and that would enable it.
    Turning on GPS service or GPS location won't work. It was the first thing I tried when I got the phone last week.

I looked at the software, it says you need "Activated Built-in GPS of your BlackBerry"

PIN/ID
    woodi68

8830 through Verizon you pay $15 extra for the "BroadConnect" feature (fancy term for "We want to charge you more to tether").

I've heard that on the Motorola Q you can tether on Verizon without the BroadConnect because (for some reason) they can't tell that you are tethering.

The BroadConnect comes with software to "manage" your connections either via your computer's WiFi connections if available or through your BroadConnect. It keeps track of how much data you've transmitted and received and some silly stuff like that.

It's ok. I don't think it's worth $15 (even though I pay it), but I like being able to tether. It's the only thing that makes Verizon worth it for me.

markllewis no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Firefishe

Yeah, that doesn't work. I got this so I could use the GPS which I have been loving with TeleNav and the at&t 8800. What a bummer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast