Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

~via my freshly updated v4.2.2.148 VZW BB 8830 (wap.pinstack.com)~ Update was smooth sailing for me. ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

unclebrudy no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Verizon 8830

Advertisement

~via my freshly updated v4.2.2.148 VZW BB 8830 (wap.pinstack.com)~ Update was smooth sailing for me. Downloaded from "smithmicro" link posted, installed under WinXP Pro SP2 with Desktop Manager 4.2. Entire process took all of half an hour if not less. For those having issues, this is exactly what I did:

-DL'd update
    -Backed up my BB
    -Installed update on my comp without BB connected (I don't think it's possible to even proceed thru it if its connected and Desktop Manager is on)
    -Reconnected BB and followed prompts
    -Let it run (you do more waiting than interacting, so be patient and don't disconnect anything)
    -Wait some more (really, go do something else)
    -After it finally finished, ran a simple restore, and that's it.

My impressions are almost entirely positive. As stated, reception display is fixed- no more semi-annoying 100%-0%-100% action at all. I cannot give definitive feedback if reception is truly improved though because in my neck of the woods (Cerritos, CA 90703) I have ridiculously perfect service. Menu fonts' readability is marginally enhanced, but welcome. I don't know how much louder 6dB is supposed to sound, but there is a slight improvement in holster, though still not enough. Another thing I noticed is scrolling got 10% more sensitive, I.e.-I had to drop to "60" from "70" to get equivalent scroll sensitivity. Contrary to some people's experience, I still have the memory leak, though it's definitely improved, hovering at or above about 7.5megs instead of zeroing out like before. Panning around large pictures that exceed the 320x240 res (like when I choose "Full Image" for wallpapers while browsing devianart) is MUCH faster than before, as it seemed to take ages on the prior software version. And, for whatever reason my battery seems to last a half day longer with comparable usage, though that could be placebo effect.

All around a worthwhile update in my opinion.

jgallen23 no está en línea Stack level 1

I just got my 8830 and I have version 4.2.2.66, is it worth it to do the update? I'm new to the blackberry world, does the backup reload flawlessly?

unclebrudy no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Hi Jgallen. That's the version mine came with, so I'm guessing you have the reception readout bug (sudden drops in the reception bar display, then back up again), memory leak issues (after a few days of normal use, your available memory is next to nothing), and dissappearing call logs and/or messages (this one is entirely depedent on how much you actually do and may or may not have happened, but of the hundreds of business calls and emails I make on certain days, it happened to me twice and finding them missing was very disheartening).

For those reasons alone I think you should do it. Just make sure you have the latest desktop manager software, the OTA calendar patch installed, about 30 minutes, and a fresh backup of your BB. No worries from there.

moners no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32C3D447

From what VZN told me, 4.2.2 fixes a software problem where the phone locks up if call waiting come in. It also adds a 6 decible increase to the ringer volume and it allows you to use non VZN sim cards overseas.

shelfman no está en línea Stack level 1

No problems with firmware upgrade. However, some email settings were changed (delete on handheld & mailbox needed to be reset to prompt, upgrade had changed it to no). Additionally all the email that i had left on my handheld but deleted from gmail then got deleted from handheld. Mobylo HTML mail needed to be reloaded to work properly as did splash ID.

The ringer volume definately seems louder.

MrX
    MrX no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304185AB

Anyone installed this on a Sprint 8830?

MrX
    MrX no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304185AB

Well it installed and has been running on my Sprint 8830 with no issues for a few days now, although I do not see any differences.

LLceleb no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

i installed it works good
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tmobile
    BOLD

jgallen23 no está en línea Stack level 1

after updating, it seems to have removed the option to delete a message from the server for my gmail account. anybody else notice this?

Jake_says no está en línea Stack level 2

Is there an OTA update? I'm an OS X user and I don't know what to do since there is no desktop manager software for Mac. Any suggestions?

rlp
    rlp no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by jrok14
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~it also allows the BB to be unlocked so it will accpet any sim from a gsm carrier... I have a complete list of changes at work...(I work for vzw). It also increased ringer volume..
    Anyone have instructions how to unlock BB 8830? I use an Enterprise Server and never syncd with my desktop. Do have have to install BB desktop software upgrade for unlocking?

bmedude no está en línea Stack level 2

its been a long time since i browsed this forum, thank god I did! Just upgraded my 8703e to an 8830. Love the phone but I am getting the reception bug like many of you are. Downloading as we speak. Many thanks!

i7100i no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    304AD7D0

I am trying to run the update program but I keep getting a mesage that the desktop manager is running even though it's not and it can not complete install. I have re started and redownloaded multiple times to no avail. PLEASE HELP!!

justajason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242C7F74

I just got mine, And did the update. I really dont know any difference.

damadhatter no está en línea Stack level 2

When is AT&T going to release this update!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast