I have an ATT (Cingular) BB 8800 and am going on a cruise at the ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

amsarge no está en línea Stack level 2

Using 8800 on vacation

Advertisement

I have an ATT (Cingular) BB 8800 and am going on a cruise at the end of the year. Does anyone know if I will be able to use the phone overseas in the Eastern Carribean or on the ship for that matter? Maybe I need to pay for additional service during the trip? If anyone knows please drop me a note.

Thanks
    Amsarge

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: Using 8800 on vacation

Depends onthe ship and where you are going. Royal Carribbean has Cingualr access. I used mine on their 4 day cruise tot he Nassau a couple years ago. Might check with ATT to see if you need an International plan. I remember the bill was pretty high, the company was paying so it wasn't a big deal - company sponsored cruise too.

Thanks for the info.

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~The Norwegian Dawn of Norwegian Cruise lines has AT&T/Cingular service.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

I believe AT&T international data roaming is $20/month and is a feature that can be turned on and off without any penalty. Don't know if it is pro/rated but I doubt it.

And I've heard that the voice charges can be expensive on ships, even with international voice roaming.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thank you.

tessitori no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    I believe AT&T international data roaming is $20/month and is a feature that can be turned on and off without any penalty. Don't know if it is pro/rated but I doubt it.

And I've heard that the voice charges can be expensive on ships, even with international voice roaming.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    If you have a contract you can no longer turn a plan off and on as it constitutes a change in the plan. I just went through this a few months ago. I needed to have an Intl data plan whole on a family emergency in Italy and when I came back and wanted to switch to just domestic data plan I was told there would be a $175 penalty for changing my plan because I was under a contract with equipment upgrade.

Andrew

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

International Data roaming, is supposed to be a feature, not a plan. I think you need to try again.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

tessitori no está en línea Stack level 3

International Data roaming, is supposed to be a feature, not a plan. I think you need to try again.

Rcbjr.
    If I change any of the features in the plan the account is subject to early termination fees! This is what I was told ...

stewea no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    headed

Tessitori is correct. I just recently added the Int'l Data Plan on my Cingular/AT&T 8800. It's a contract in terms of payment. Technically, it's not $20, it's actually $69/mo, but it replaces the standard $49/mo BB BES Data plan ($20 difference). Cingular/AT&T was very specific that once I added/transferred to the Int'l Data Plan, that I was agreeing to a 1-2 year committment (I honestly don't recall which) and that there would be $175 termination fee if I switch back to the standard BB Data Plan.

Not to be confused with Int'l Roaming for voice, which IS a service.

Steve

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Then that is a recent change. There was an international blackberry data addon feature that could be added and renoved just like. Any other add on. And I didnt really didn't think any blackberry data plan was a contract item.
    I'll verify this tomorrow.

Rcbjr
    Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr

temoore no está en línea Stack level 1

I traveled to Europe for three weeks last month. I called Cingular, and they said the data plan required a minimum period of one year unless I wanted to pay the $175 penalty or whatever it was.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by amsarge
    I have an ATT (Cingular) BB 8800 and am going on a cruise at the end of the year. Does anyone know if I will be able to use the phone overseas in the Eastern Carribean or on the ship for that matter? Maybe I need to pay for additional service during the trip? If anyone knows please drop me a note.
    The international section of the at&t site will tell you what countries voice and data will work in and what the roaming charge is -- I definitely recommend checking it out. It also includes information on shipboard coverage.

You can also refer to gsmworld.com.

Then that is a recent change. There was an international blackberry data addon feature that could be added and renoved just like. Any other add on. And I didnt really didn't think any blackberry data plan was a contract item.
    The international BB data plan has definitely changed with at&t. There is now an ETF for removing it before the term expires.
    Last edited by takeshi; 06-11-2007 at 03:53 PM.