I have a 8800 unlocked cingular branded phone. I am currently out of the U.S. ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

PIN/ID

urgent help RE Internet settings

Advertisement

I have a 8800 unlocked cingular branded phone. I am currently out of the U.S. and I am using a local SIM card, I asked the local provider to add gprs service to my card which they did, but the letters on phone are in small caps saying gprs and the data connection is refused. They local provider is asking me to manually enter the proxy and internet settings something I am not able to access on the 8800 all I can access is is the APN setting, what can I do to get this fixed so i can see the CAPS GPRS and use the internet?????

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: urgent help RE Internet settings

gprs instead of GPRS indicates no data service. You need to have the provider add the appropriate BlackBerry Data Service. Enterprise if you're on a BES, Internet if you're not.
    JerryD

PIN/ID

they don't even have blackberries here, so I am not sure if their regular data plan will work. This GPRS plan enable phones like the imate to access the internet so the network is available it is a matter of configuring the blackberry to connect.... any ideas??

Mobiman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2071348F

Hi BB8800, you may want to check this thread out, not sure if it will solve your problem.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...berry_gsm.html

PIN/ID

i tried almost everything there but nothing helped. Any other suggestions on how to access the proxy settings on the bb8800????

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Actually, lowercase grps means you have gprs data but no access to RIM's infrastructure. The latter is indicated with uppercase GPRS. Since you only have a gprs data plan and not a Blackberry data plan this is exactly what should be expected. You won't get any data on a BB without a BB data plan (and AFAIK no carrier offers BB data on prepaid) -- it must have access to the BB APN's which is only available with a BB data plan.

You'll have to use your domestic US SIM for BB data and incur the international roaming charges (assuming you didn't sign up for intenrational BB data) if you really want internet and/or email.
    Last edited by takeshi; 06-11-2007 at 03:39 PM.

PIN/ID

Thumbs up Re: urgent help RE Internet settings

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    Actually, lowercase grps means you have gprs data but no access to RIM's infrastructure. The latter is indicated with uppercase GPRS. Since you only have a gprs data plan and not a Blackberry data plan this is exactly what should be expected. You won't get any data on a BB without a BB data plan (and AFAIK no carrier offers BB data on prepaid) -- it must have access to the BB APN's which is only available with a BB data plan.

You'll have to use your domestic US SIM for BB data and incur the international roaming charges (assuming you didn't sign up for intenrational BB data) if you really want internet and/or email.
    I think you hit the nail on the head, after trying for several days I realized the BB will not have data access (internet) in countries without BB data plans. Thanks for the input, back to using the laptop which I brought as a backup in case I wasn't able to use my BB for anything other than making calls. As a side note, people here are extremly impressed with the BB the offered to buy it from me for more than what I paid for it, despite the aforementioned problem.