How do I get navigation via the Built in GPS without having to use a ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

ivano1 no está en línea Stack level 1

Unlocked BB8800

Advertisement

How do I get navigation via the Built in GPS without having to use a data plan. Just started downloading na4all and telenav to my macbook. Any suggestions.

miles_troope no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Unlocked BB8800

Quote Originally Posted by ivano1
    How do I get navigation via the Built in GPS without having to use a data plan. Just started downloading na4all and telenav to my macbook. Any suggestions.
    You'd have to find GPS mapping software that didn't need to download maps on the fly as you move. Don't know if these are available for this device. They probably require the maps to be stored on a memory card or similar. I'd doubt there is sufficient storage on the device itself.

I know BB maps downloads on the fly but it's the only one I've used. I think Telenav does as well.

Can't be any more help i'm afraid.
    Miles.

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re : Unlocked BB8800

An offline GPS map would be quite hard on a BB about a 4gb card and if they are any new update you'll have to do them often. And BB are looking for people to get data plan so I doubt it will be ever done.....

My 2 cents
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

Sorry gentlemen for sounding stupid, but I though that BBMaps came with maps pre-installed. I need maps for UAE, Australia and South Africa which is on the list of coverage maps.

stewea no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    headed

No mapping software for the BB has pre-installed maps (Telenav, BBMaps, Google Maps etc all download on the fly). See Stinsonddog's GPS Tips here:

http://home.comcast.net/~tamsterra/O...kberry_GPS.htm

That should give you some additional information.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Stewea's correct. There's currently no mapping or GPS app for the BB that has locally stored maps.

The app would have to come with a microSD card with the maps. The device memory doesn't have anywhere near enough space if you think about it. How much map, POI and other data can you fit in 64MB? That's even assuming that all 64MB are free which isn't the case for many of the currently shipping models.

Sorry guys for the million and one questions, but I have a 2GB microSD and both the Australia and Middle East Garmin City Navigator CD's unlocked. Can I install this onto the microSD card and use it with BBmaps, Telenav, Google maps for the Blackberry? Yes I am trying my luck, but better to ask then to worry if it could have been done. Sorry again guys.