Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm trying to unlock an AT&T Blackberry 8800 that I recently bought on eBay. I ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

finder216 no está en línea Stack level 3

"Unable to find unlock code"

Advertisement

I'm trying to unlock an AT&T Blackberry 8800 that I recently bought on eBay. I contacted an Internet unlocking service that came recommended and paying the fee, sent them my IMEI. After several hours I received an email stating they could not locate a code for the IMEI that I provided. As they requested, I re-checked the IMEI and it was the same one I'd sent them (the results of *#06# and what was listed under the battery were both the same), so I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be.

They stated they would re-check the IMEI and I haven't heard back from them yet. Their service is guaranteed, so It's not that I'm worried about the fee I've paid, I just want the phone unlocked - it's worthless to me being locked to AT&T when I have T-Mobile. A friend of mine tried his AT&T SIM card and it worked; my T-Mobile card did not, so I know the phone is locked to AT&T.

In a past life, I unlocked several Nokia phones using calculators, but am assuming the Blackberry process must be quite a bit different.

Anyone else had a problem like this?
    Last edited by finder216; 12-25-2007 at 11:33 PM.

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

Re: "Unable to find unlock code"

Well sometimes the IMEI number didn't get put into the database that the companies on ebay use. Your not out of hope though! have your buddy thats has att call them up and ask them for a unlock code for the phone. tell them he is leaving the country. They will process your friends info to see if he is in good standing with them. then about a week and a half later you will have the right code.

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

also if you get a stupid rep that doesnt know what your talking about keep calling back and talking to different employees there you will get it from them.

I've opted to try one other service that was recommended by another forum user. Again, they have a money back guarantee, so if it doesn't work I'm only out the waiting. Checking with my friend that's with AT&T, I learned that he just unlocked his wife's phone, so I don't think he'll be able to help me out for a while (longer than I'd care to wait anyway).

I'll update again when I know the outcome...really bites having an 8800 sitting on my desk and I can't use it!

miltw3 no está en línea Stack level 3

Post Re: "Unable to find unlock code"

Hi-

You and I are in the same boat. My 8800 is on the table also. I tried a service on ebay and they were unable to unlock my Cingular BB8800. I actually called AT&T first and they gladly put in a request to have the phone unlocked, however, I didn't want to wait 5-7 days.

Bottom line. Call AT&T, they will process the unlock for free. You will just have to be patient.

I will let you know how it turns out. Best wishes.

I've had AT&T service for several years, but this month transfered my number to T-Mobile (saving approx. $40 total on my monthly bill). As a last resort, I've called them a few minutes ago to see if they would help me out and unlock my phone. They said the they could help me, but the IMEI was not in their data base and normally, they would open a "report" to assist me further, but since I've already notified them of an account cancellation, they would not be able to help me...back to square one.

The first unlocking service confirmed that they also could not help me, but offered to attempt to unlock it through RIM, for an addition $40; they are issuing a refund to me.

I'm still waiting to hear from the second service I've paid.

Post Re: "Unable to find unlock code"

Sounds like they are playing hard ball with you.

I was talking to one of the guys who offers unlock services on Ebay. He said there are two databases to search unock codes. One is the standard database and the other one is an more extensive international database. The typical service queries the first database and gets immediate results. If they don't find it there, he has the option to search the more extensive database. Results from this database take longer, however, it supposedly has all the numbers included. I don't know if this guy was taking advantage of my lack of knowledge and pulling my leg to sound professional. He did, however, sound confident there are options. If this option fails, I can PM the his phone number to you.

Also, you might give this service a try - search ebay store www{dot}stores.ebay.com/Primo-Mobile-Net. It looks like they have gotten positive feeback on all their Blackberry 8XXX requests. They also seemed very confident, and guarantee their results.

Best wishes

No joy - I've learned that most (if not all) of the unlocking services use the same datebase. I contacted two other services by phone and was told that if the other services told me they could not locate a code, it was probably not entered by the service provider, like it should have been, when it was new and originally added to their inventory. One of them told me that RIM could actually unlock it, but they have a policy not to give codes out to anyone but the service provider.

My 8800 is now for sale on eBay. I'll look for another, but will be buying one that is already unlocked, or locked to T-Mobile.

I would also like to say that all of the unlocking services did refund my payment, so it didn't cost me anything to try.

Sounds like a good move. I am still waiting on a reponse from AT&T. I was told I should hear back from them within 24 hours. If this works, this will be the last time I go through this process. When you pay only $120 for an immaculate 8800, it is hard to give up so quickly.

Update with Good News. Posted an ad on Craig's List to see if anyone would like to do an equal exchange for a Tmobile 8800. Who would ave figured...within a day, a guy in Atl, who was trying to unlock a tmobile unit to no avail, saw the ad and we hooked up and did the trade. I am now up an running on my Tmobile branded 8800. Praise God!

Great idea! I have already listed my 8800 on eBay (and bought a 8300 to replace it), but you inspired me so I've posted an ad on Craig's List too.
    Last edited by finder216; 12-31-2007 at 11:28 AM.

scoundrel no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242100A9

How can we access these "databases" you guys are talking about?

cabron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2466A9E4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~those databases are not public, you have to pay a company that unlocks cells to have them retrieve the unlock code for you.

scoundrel no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242100A9

thats my point, where do these companies get the databases?
    I'm getting into the trade and I thought someone might be able to help me out/

cabron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2466A9E4

Uhmmmm, in that case, good luck!.
    You are going to need it

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast