I just bought a new blackberry 8800 from a store yesterday. Since I had an ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

JDC320 no está en línea Stack level 1

Trouble sending SMS

Advertisement

I just bought a new blackberry 8800 from a store yesterday. Since I had an existing plan, I only purchased the phone. I went home and started customizing my settings. When I was in my messages, I only had 1 text message from my previous phone saved, so I tried to respond to it on my blackberry but an error message popped up something like javaillegal.application...I don't remember the whole message but when i called t-mobile tech support and they told me to wipe the handset, which I did and it still didn't work. Their explanation was that there was a problem with the software inside the phone and that I should take it back to the store and get a new one. When I called the store with my problem they told me it's because I didn't update my IMEI/PIN information when I bought the phone. I'm anxious to find out who is correct in this situation, and since I don't have my sim card on me right now, I can't check to see if that actually works. Anyone else ever encounter this problem?

Dasher no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21F6D890

Re: Trouble sending SMS

Welcome to Pinstack JDC320! Hope you don't mind me asking. Do you have a data plan? Are you using BIS or BES? Have you updated the infromation in the site?
    A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him. Fools admire, but men of sense approve.

JDC320 no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi,
    Thanks for replying! I do have a data plan, it's the most basic one, I'm using the blackberry mainly for my Internet email not my corporate email so I don't think BES/BIS applies to me? I may be wrong though, what do those stand for? I just brought the phone back to the store, and I forgot my SIM card at home, so they used another sim card, popped it in the phone and it worked fine! They were sending SMS to this other phone and it totally worked! I have to try again at home but I think it might be my SIM card, does that sound right? I'm new to all of this so it's all very confusing!

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

SMS isn't data -- any GSM device can SMS without a data plan.

It sounds like either you have a faulty SIM or an SMS provisioning issue on your account. TMO support should be able to help you determine which one it is. Be sure to let them know that your BB could SMS just fine with another SIM.

The most common cause of SMS issues is a provisioning problem and you always have to call your carrier in such cases.
    Last edited by takeshi; 08-22-2007 at 01:41 PM.

XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846
    Quote Originally Posted by JDC320
    Hi,
    Thanks for replying! I do have a data plan, it's the most basic one, I'm using the blackberry mainly for my Internet email not my corporate email so I don't think BES/BIS applies to me? I may be wrong though, what do those stand for? I just brought the phone back to the store, and I forgot my SIM card at home, so they used another sim card, popped it in the phone and it worked fine! They were sending SMS to this other phone and it totally worked! I have to try again at home but I think it might be my SIM card, does that sound right? I'm new to all of this so it's all very confusing!
    BIS~BlackBerry Internet Service does apply to you my friend if you intend to use your BB for your personal email accounts. The $5.99 T-Mobile Web package is completely useless for BlackBerrys so having that option is the same as flushing money down the toilet.

The $19.99 BIS add on gives you unlimited data and push email service for up to 10 of your personal email accounts.