I did a search and saw different apps to use to transfer information, however what ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

garthbrooks no está en línea Stack level 2

Transfer Contacts from BB8830 to BB880

Advertisement

I did a search and saw different apps to use to transfer information, however what I wanted to ask here, and if this sounds stupid sorry about that. You can download BB Desktop software for AT&T and Verizon, but does anyone know if you have to use the desktop software for the specific carrier ? I asked over on AT&T's tech forums, and got it should work with no matter what I was using but it appeared to me that it maybe have been transfer files not related and because of the 2 different technologies "CDMA & GSM" I did not want to hose the system on the 8800.

I already had to reload the whole OS on the BB8800 because it was acting weird and crashing after loading the Media player from dollars r . c o m , when I ran the media player it was asking to access my phone book all the time, and than google maps would not load at all or just say its looking for a file. Now that I have that all cleaned up and the OS is reloaded everything appears to be back to normal ( I HOPE ) .......

As a side note, signal strenght for both BB's to include data are excellant , only bad thing is AT&T's tech support and wait times on hold, than have a tech say whats your email address and says there going to mail you the documentation to fix your problem, and ask Have I answered all of your questions?

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

Re: Transfer Contacts from BB8830 to BB880

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I have two suggested methods. First of all, yes the desktop manager should work just fine to transfer the data. How you would accomplish that is to make a backup of both devices (just in case) and then for the one you want to transfer contacts TO plug it in, go into the backup application and use the advanced backup to restore the contacts onto the new BlackBerry. I think that should be easy as pie! (You may very well just also look at the Switch Devices application too. I've never used it, but it'll probably help you accomplish this task too)

Otherwise as an alternative and if you are only interested in the contacts use gmail!

You'll have to first set it up on your "old" BlackBerry through BIS. Once it sychs your email login to gmail and check to be sure the contacts also syched (mine do). SO, after you verify contacts can synch, log back into BIS delete the email account from the old BlackBerry.

So now you have to login to BIS for the second BlackBerry (they have different logins and different web addresses being from different carriers). Add the new gmail account to the new BlackBerry and this should synch all the contacts to the new BlackBerry.

Kinda long? Well it shouldn't take luch time really. Only factor to keep in mind is that I haven't tried this for your specific purpose. I'm just assembling the different experiences I've had.

Hope this will help.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Desktop Manager is not carrier nor device specific. You can always download the latest version directly from RIM at Blackberry.com.

garthbrooks no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    Desktop Manager is not carrier nor device specific. You can always download the latest version directly from RIM at Blackberry.com.
    Thank you both for the reply, one other question that came to mind is , IS there an application that will let you go in through a gui interface and edit your contacts on your computer and write back to your BB?

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I've heard folks ask about such an application but never have heard a positive result. My answer would be, as of right now I've not heard of one.